Changing jobs without burning bridges? **update**

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Re: Changing jobs without burning bridges?

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:15 pm

be open and honest with him. tell him the offer you get from the other company. maybe he will be willing to match it. thank him for the opportunity and training you received. but you should work for the highest bidder of your services. its just business.
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
ducknbuck1
Veteran

Postby ducknbuck1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Very Very few employers will look out for you when its time to tighten the belt because work is slow or business is off. Question you have to ask yourself is it really got bad at your company and he had to make some hard decisions based on what would save his company, do you think he would keep you around even though that wasn't what was best for the company??? I highly doubt it. I am sure he will be pissed, but he will get over it if he is a a true friend of the family. Do like alot of others have said and give the most notice you can and let him know that you will do whatever is asked of you to make the transistion smoother even if it makes your life harder. Be the bigger man and do what is best for your family!!!! Good luck
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Despite you boss, do you enjoy the job? If you like your work, but have issue with your boss, you might want to discuss your concerns with him. If he is a small business owner and has been in business for the past 10-15 years, he has been through a difficult economy and might have a good reason for being sour.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:24 pm

In the cases I've declined a job offer or resigned, I've always assumed the bridges would be burned, whether that was the case or not. If you are worried you may some day need to come back there for a job, that's a legitimate concern you must weigh. If the concern is merely personal/social, you do what's best for your family.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:23 pm

"@#$%#" him...move on. Friends is friends and money is money.

the doc
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice and support guys.
Ive been worrying about a lot of "what ifs" right now…Still haven't sat for the interview yet so counting a big chicken that hasn't hatched.
But I am waiting with eager anticipation; I have been needing a change (not the obama kind lol) for some while, and events within the past 3 months have solidified the desire to move on. Especially with the right offer...Several of his former employees have said and I quote.."I don't trust him to do anything except help himself"
I really want to vent all my frustrations but here is not the place to do it…but I have really been getting screwed over…

I personally wouldn't care if the bridge was burned if not for the family friend aspect.

Just getting home from a DAY….and I'm a little more aggravated than in my first post, but still want to keep things on a friendly disposition..
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:20 am

Update. ...

Have a letter of recommendation in for a second job as of this morning. ..Guy that's retiring (government job)
came by and said he would recommend me with my qualifications! !!
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:59 am

I have seen where several have recommended "giving as much notice as possible." I don't necessarily recommend this. This topic has come up on here before, and like others have said I think its better for both parties to cut ties and move on as quickly as possible. I think intentions are good by giving a months notice, but I think it can lead to more harm than good for both parties. Just something to think about.
Last edited by kb7722 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
slayem
Veteran

Postby slayem » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:16 am

dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:42 pm

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:12 am

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Greenhead329
Veteran

Re: Changing jobs without burning bridges? **update**

Postby Greenhead329 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks again for the continued suggestions;

Talked with the new place. They are willing to hire me, working individual shifts as needed on a trial basis. (One day per week as of right now) They are worried if I will work out..as my boss's reputation proceeds me.…Oddly enough it travels far..

But its a foot in the door, Im excited and may lead to better things, and if things go further south I will at least be able to supplement my income some.

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 am

Sounds risky. I hope it works out for you.
Good luck.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks Teul,

The new place is working withe my current schedule since it's a trial run.. so only risk right now is the current boss finding out..

Return to “General Discussion Forum”