The "Threat of Grace"

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deep Woods
Veteran

Re: The "Threat of Grace"

Postby Deep Woods » Mon May 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
1John 2:4, 1John 1:6, 2 Corinthians 6:14, Job 13:16
Ordek Avci
Veteran

Postby Ordek Avci » Mon May 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Anyone can be a fisherman in May.
-Ernest Hemingway
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Tue May 04, 2010 5:54 am

Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
1John 2:4, 1John 1:6, 2 Corinthians 6:14, Job 13:16
Gordon
Regular

Postby Gordon » Tue May 04, 2010 7:09 am

the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Tue May 04, 2010 7:26 am

you cant help but live in sin, youre a SINNER!

we arent sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners! you cant open your eyes in the morning without commiting a sin

not condoning a "no effort" faith...we all know "faith without works is dead" but fact is if your have ever committed even one small teeny tinty sin you are not worthy to be in Gods presence

ONLY way we can be made worthy is through faith in Christ our Savior who was provided by the grace of God (straight from Paul, Eph 2:8)
if you are "in" Christ, God looks upon you and the perfectness of Christs life is credited to you, if you think anything you do helps you gain salvation you are taking away from the work of Christ

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=73138

the doc
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 am

this sums it up for me....

A man dies and goes to heaven. Of course, St. Peter meets him at the pearly gates. St. Peter says, "Here's how it works. You need 100 points to make it into heaven. You tell me all the good things you've done, and I give you a certain number of points for each item, depending on how good it was. When you reach 100 points, you get in."

"Okay," the man says, "I was married to the same woman for 50 years and never cheated on her, even in my heart."

"That's wonderful," says St. Peter, "that's worth three points!"

"Three points?" he says. "Well, I attended church all my life and supported its ministry with my tithe and service."

"Terrific!" says St. Peter, "that's certainly worth a point."

"One point? Golly. How about this: I started a soup kitchen in my city and worked in a shelter for homeless veterans."

"Fantastic, that's good for two more points," he says.

"TWO POINTS!!" the man cries, "At this rate the only way I get into heaven is by the grace of God!"

"Come on in!"

the doc
Gordon
Regular

Postby Gordon » Tue May 04, 2010 7:58 am

Deep Woods,

You assert that Paul wrote to a "church of God" full of unsaved people eventhough the first seven verses of the first chapter prove that he fully believed that these people were saved.

1 Corinthians 1:1-9 Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ; That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge; Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

How do you explain the difference?

EDIT: How many of the unsaved need to be gathered in one place to be a church of God?

Hebrews 5:13-14 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
Ordek Avci
Veteran

Postby Ordek Avci » Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 am

Anyone can be a fisherman in May.

-Ernest Hemingway

Return to “General Discussion Forum”