North MS Turkey Report ???

A place to discuss turkey hunting, post turkey pictures, and talk turkey strategies!

Moderator: TurkeySouth Moderators

User avatar
camlock
Duck South Sponsor
Posts: 5402
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:10 am

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby camlock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Had a good 4 days, called birds into gun range 3 of 4 days and set up on 3 different birds the 4th day with one within 100. Only one shot fired...and he dead, nice 3 year old bird...lots of good video, kill shot very average video b/c bird swinging around in woods and those shots are hard to film. Birds were pretty henned up, they weren't totally silent on the ground but weren't lonely and fired up on the ground either. Sporadically responsive...hens and hunting pressure.
deerhunt1988
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby deerhunt1988 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:04 am

ufgators68 wrote:Went yesterday afternoon and birds were everywhere, none responding to calls though... except for one. :twisted:

He was a 26 pounder with a 10.5" beard, 1-1/8" & 1-1/4" spurs. 8)

Should have gotten him officially measured, could be a state record on weight.

http://www.mdwfp.com/applications/Turke ... cords.aspx
User avatar
ufgators68
Veteran
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: NE MS
Contact:

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:53 am

deerhunt1988 wrote:
ufgators68 wrote:Went yesterday afternoon and birds were everywhere, none responding to calls though... except for one. :twisted:

He was a 26 pounder with a 10.5" beard, 1-1/8" & 1-1/4" spurs. 8)

Should have gotten him officially measured, could be a state record on weight.

http://www.mdwfp.com/applications/Turke ... cords.aspx


Didn't know they had a category for weight. :lol:

I was so tired after I got back to the truck that all I wanted to do was clean that sucker and drink a beer.
User avatar
davidees
Duck South Addict
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: Robinsonville, MS

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby davidees » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Finally got on the board in North MS today...10.5" beard, 1.25 and 1.8" spurs. Kilt at 12:45, he gobbled about 100 times.
User avatar
ufgators68
Veteran
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: NE MS
Contact:

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:12 am

Nobody else?

Birds here have gone quiet. I heard one gobbler last weekend and that was it.
User avatar
Smoke68
Duck South Addict
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Starkville

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 am

ufgators68 wrote:Nobody else?

Birds here have gone quiet. I heard one gobbler last weekend and that was it.


Chickasaw county again this morning. They was on fire. Heard 3 birds around me going nuts. 2 were almost certainly Jakes. They flew down, gobbled slowed, nothing came my way and I had to go to work.
Image
"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
User avatar
billyho
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Walnut,MS

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby billyho » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Silent as far north and east as you can go in MS the past 3 mornings. And on a place that I know holds birds. Heard one fire off mid morning yesterday morning and that's it. Typical for this time of year around here after everything greens up
User avatar
davidees
Duck South Addict
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: Robinsonville, MS

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby davidees » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:41 pm

I finished up Mississippi this morning...on to Missouri next. It's been an amazing week and a half or so. Birds were on fire.
Attachments
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0164.PNG
IMG_0117.JPG
Tedl10
Duck South Addict
Posts: 3456
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Oxford/Canton/Louise

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby Tedl10 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:42 pm

I heard 20-25 gobbles between two birds last Saturday. Since then I've only heard one gobble.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
User avatar
ufgators68
Veteran
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: NE MS
Contact:

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 am

Had four coming to me, across a field, yesterday... and then they turned around and went back. :lol:

Don't know if the wind across that field made them change their mind or if they saw something they didn't like but I know where I'll be setting up shop this afternoon. Going to try to get my wife to go with me and let her pull the trigger.
User avatar
ufgators68
Veteran
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: NE MS
Contact:

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby ufgators68 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Well, season is over for me. Rolled number 3 yesterday.

9.5" beard, 7/8" spurs and 22-ish pounds. Took me 15 minutes. :lol:
User avatar
davidees
Duck South Addict
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: Robinsonville, MS

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby davidees » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:46 am

ufgators68 wrote:Well, season is over for me. Rolled number 3 yesterday.

9.5" beard, 7/8" spurs and 22-ish pounds. Took me 15 minutes. :lol:


It shouldn't be over as long as there are other states open :D
User avatar
ufgators68
Veteran
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: NE MS
Contact:

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby ufgators68 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:35 am

davidees wrote:
ufgators68 wrote:Well, season is over for me. Rolled number 3 yesterday.

9.5" beard, 7/8" spurs and 22-ish pounds. Took me 15 minutes. :lol:


It shouldn't be over as long as there are other states open :D


You going to finance that? :lol:

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1964 Ford Super Dexta diesel... I have zero spare fun money. :(
User avatar
davidees
Duck South Addict
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: Robinsonville, MS

Re: North MS Turkey Report ???

Postby davidees » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:04 pm

ufgators68 wrote:
davidees wrote:
ufgators68 wrote:Well, season is over for me. Rolled number 3 yesterday.

9.5" beard, 7/8" spurs and 22-ish pounds. Took me 15 minutes. :lol:


It shouldn't be over as long as there are other states open :D


You going to finance that? :lol:

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1964 Ford Super Dexta diesel... I have zero spare fun money. :(


I hear ya. I always go to MO every year. License is $190, but lodging is free (primitive camping). Turkey hunting in the Ozarks is awesome.

Return to “Turkey South Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests