How Is Your Duck Season So Far?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: How Is Your Duck Season So Far?

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:20 am

SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 am

Been above average for us, all hunting has been in brakes, not a huge number of ducks in the area but our hunts have been highly successful. I do keep my son's numbers and he has been 6 times so far with personal duck harvest of 6, 6, 5, 4, 1, and 6 on those hunts for total of 28 which includes 7 mallards, 13 gadwall, 6 wood ducks, 1 wigeon, and 1 shoveler. He also has a hooded merganser and a Canada goose to add as far as total waterfowl.

We usually have a jam up opening weekend hunt and then maybe a decent hunt or two between then and Christmas. Pretty much deer hunt till the rut tapers off around that time. From Christmas till end of the season has certainly been the time we hunt the most and also see the most success. This season started with ALOT of ducks in the area and I am sure a bunch of great opening weekends, but the area numbers have certainly dwindled. Have been very lucky it seems to have held ducks over this down period and have some quality hunts.

My son did a science fair project last year using his harvest numbers that I started keeping for him his very first season. Numbers, species, dates, and location were data I put on a spreadsheet everytime he hunted. He really is the one that adds to it now and so glad I started it for him when he was a youngster. Surprising what the data tells you when you look at it over a decade....sort of squashes some myths. He broke the hunting time down for his project into (6) 10 day periods. Question he tried to answer for the science project was "If a man only has a 5 day period to vacation for duck hunting in Tallahatchie County MS, what 5 day period would historically give him the most success?". Well of course we assumed the last 5 days of the season would always be the best bet. Data proved otherwise. If the man is looking to kill the most ducks he can in that 5 day period regardless of species then almost any five day period after Christmas was historically pretty consistent. If the person really wanted to zero in on killing mallard limits then there were "spikes" in the data over a 10 year period that repeated enough to look at them as good chances for success. Because we had splits and weekend only hunting season dates for part of the periods being analyzed, it did skew the data. But for the most part, there were definite advantages for hunting opening weekend, second week of December, and second week of January. Mallard numbers more than once or twice were a higher part of the average harvest during these times. Interesting stuff....to me anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are we gonna get wet?
FoldedUp
Regular

Postby FoldedUp » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:49 am

jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:20 pm

How's MY season? Well, umm. My daughter is 1 now. :oops:
Nobody owes you anything.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:19 pm

SWAG - tell us the rest of the story? How did the boy's science project grade out? :D
Scott Baker
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Ha...first place @ school, first place @ district, and placed @ state I think. He is going to use the data again + 2014-2015 season and try to make some graphs that show trends by species and overall duck numbers by hunting dates. Not just a 5 or 10 day period thing but more so over the course of the season. May can go back and get some temperature data to go along with it (NOAA) but that would be as much as he would do. He needs help from someone who can run stats :lol: :lol: :lol: Doesn't MDWFP want this data??? After analyzing they can give it back in a nice report :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are we gonna get wet?
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:47 pm

EXCELLENT! He did well. Sounds like he would be a 1st round draft choice for the MDWFP. Maybe he will give us a shot if he does not get a 1st round pick in the baseball draft. I know baseball is pulling at him pretty hard.
Scott Baker
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:19 am

Let's 'sang' a song....... :mrgreen:
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:49 am

Arkansas started off hot. The first four days, I wasn't in the pit past 7:05 shooting 4 to 6 limits of good ducks. It did not taper off, it just died!

I've had some really good shoots in North Ms on public land but Arkansas is still sketchy.

Some of the higher end clubs are struggling big time. We have one pit that has killed more birds than one particular clubs total that runs around 18 grand a year! :shock:
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:35 am

420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 am

Been three times this year, including two draw hunts...aint knocked the gun off safety....
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:20 am

So far it's been pretty fecal! Little rain, few ducks, warm weather, south winds.

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:11 pm

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
littlesmacko89
Veteran

Postby littlesmacko89 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:54 pm

mine is going good. only been a handful of times and we have had slow mornings but it hasn't been a total bust yet. here are some pics from the last two days not counting today.

Tuesday 12/16/14

Wednesday 12/17/14

Return to “General Discussion Forum”