Building a pirogue **Pics Added***

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Scully
Veteran

Re: Building a pirogue

Postby Scully » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 am

I built a Hybrid a couple years ago- it was a fun summer prodject. US Composites had the best prices on resin and glass at that time.
He said" The sheriff is near"
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:53 am

"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it." - DBT
"I am good at what I do, and I take great pride. But I don't make much money, so I sell eggs and chickens on the side." - WSP
gamehog
Veteran

Postby gamehog » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:19 am

I also put small handles front and back, just easier for two guys to lift out of truck, or for me to drag over a beaver dam, etc. The handles are just furring strips I glued to the sides.
"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."
- Locked Up
DuckDeke
Veteran

Postby DuckDeke » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:10 am

rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 am

I hope my turns out stable enough that is what I am wanting to do. I will hav epics monday going to start on it this afternoon.
Rusty Parsons
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Yes you can use it as a lay out boat, but you have to have spud holes, and spud poles, you can just put some stainless i bolts in the front and back, and stick a piecie of conduit through them and into the mud, makes it really stable. It works better if you have true spud hole through the boat. If you dont know what im talking about, look at Chapman's boats he offers them.

JD
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
DuckDeke
Veteran

Postby DuckDeke » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 pm

I've seen the spud holes before, I just wasn't sure how much stability they really brought to the equation. Thanks for the input. Did you construct a blind/cover to camo yourself?
dukhunter
Veteran

Postby dukhunter » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm

fellas Im a big boy I built one a little over 10' in length, 3' bottom and 4' cross top side to side, used a 1/2 steel frame in the floor and around the top for strength (I pull it behind the 4 wheeler) I used 1/2 foam sheets to fill in the gaps in the frame and used the 10# matts, cause I got them for almost nothing, and I love it not that expencive mine is a little heavy but not too bad I built a two wheel cart that straps under it and off we go.........you can take camo fabric and cut it to fit the boat after it cures and apply the fabric with the poly resin then vacuum bag the whole thing sand it and it will look better than anything u will see in a store, but all these extras will add more weight.
duck_nutt
Duck South Addict

Postby duck_nutt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:43 pm

[url][/url]
redneck22ms
Veteran

Postby redneck22ms » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:27 pm

i built one a few years ago using the kit from unclejohns and i'll have to say its a pretty simple process. mine is around 12' long and i wouldn't want one any smaller. i didn't fiberglass the whole bottom of mine and i should have. the bottom held up fine for the first 3-4 years but its getting pretty rough now. gonna have to replace it this summer. i used gorilla glue and stainless screws to put it all together and then fiberglassed the seams with cloth and resin i got from lowes. i used 1x2's for the rub rail but couldn't find any long enough to go the whole length so there is a seam in it and it allows the sides to flex a little. so i suggest you try to find some that will go the whole way or buy a long2x or wider 1x and cut your own. and the biggest suggestion i can give you is to wear some good gloves when dealing with eurathane glue and the resin. have fun with your project and take pics of its progress.
shoot them in the face they may be wearing body armor lol
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:26 pm

you can scarf that joint (hehehehe) on teh rub rails and make a piece as long as you want.....
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it." - DBT
"I am good at what I do, and I take great pride. But I don't make much money, so I sell eggs and chickens on the side." - WSP
redneck22ms
Veteran

Postby redneck22ms » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:30 pm

yeah i didn't think about that when i was building it
shoot them in the face they may be wearing body armor lol
hencutter
Veteran

Postby hencutter » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 pm

I also did the Uncle Johns....kinda heavy,but it didn't leak! Didn't look real pretty either,but someone with more talent could build a nice looking one .
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:20 am

Here are some pics so far:

Here is the scarph joint in prep.

Here is the scarph joint drying

The sides drying

Putting in the ribs

Attaching the bottom

Drying

Inside with bottom on.

Rusty Parsons
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Re: Building a pirogue **Pics Added***

Postby LawDawg » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:46 am

Those look great man. I hope they float. :)
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”