Nothing to talk about?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Nothing to talk about?

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 am

I had the best sleep of the entire summer last night. Outside air conditioner fan started screaming like a banshee on Saturday. I took it loose from the housing and applied a little oil hoping to quiet it down and get me through the weekend.

Unfortunately it decided to crap out around 6:30 PM last night. $379 later, I am installing a window unit in the bedroom.

Holy arctic blast!!

That some bitch made the bedroom so cold I felt like pulling out the electric blanket at 2 AM. I’m tempted to make it permanent. The cold combined with the extra noise in the bedroom gave me a months worth of sleep in one night.

In all seriousness, it would not be a bad idea to add a outside air conditioner unit fan motor to the list of items to keep on hand for a weekend emergency. That and a run start capacitor.

The fan was literally three wires with blade terminals attached. Take a picture if you can’t remember where they go and you can become an air conditioner professional and your wife might even give you some special attention after fixing it on a Sunday. (I haven’t actually fixed ours yet so I didn’t get any special attention Because I wasn’t smart enough to keep an extra motor on hand)

Just take care handling the capacitor, because it will blow your nuts off if you look at it the wrong way. Haha.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Re: Nothing to talk about?

Postby eSJay » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:57 am

Good advise. My condenser fan also went out on the week-end & the places that have then in stock are closed then. Luckily I didn’t have to buy a window unit, but did have to move upstairs. It’s an easy fix once you have the motor.
To reiterate the capacitor caution, make damn sure you discharge it first to avoid said nuts from being blown off!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:04 pm

You boys are hurting me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And for the record, this is exactly why I am a proponent of getting a Home Warranty. 8)
Nobody owes you anything.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:50 pm

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Note to self: have someone in the know show me where said "nut sac decapitator capacitor" is located on unit so that ambulance (for me) and search and rescue team ( for nut sac) arent called out for emergency. :shock:
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 pm

this be the nut sak blowing culprits

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=a%2Fc+capaci ... q5cp0u7n_e

just don't use your fingers to test if it is "hot" or not....aka, don't complete the circuit!! I have replaced them and still possess my nut sak....my nut sak is in takt!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Yep. That’s it. And notice the nut blasting voltage they posses.

And please for the love of all things nutty, do not assume a brand new one has no power stored in it.

But as you can see it’s a $15 part so there is no good reason not to keep one on hand.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:40 pm

.......or you could have a friend right down the road who you can call anytime that possesses all the necessary smarts to work on AC units. And you can just stand back and watch!!!
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:54 pm

If any of y’all need a great, and I mean fantastic nights sleep, I have a Conex trailer made into a bunk room for a camp that is spray foam insulated and has 2 frigid window units. When you shut the doors it is 500% pitch black dark, has zero phone service, and when you crank those window units down to Antarctica and they start to hum, it’ll put you into comatose. I’ve been known to sleep in a few minutes late here and there. Thinking about mounting a few in the house for effect. Thanks for the heads up on the capacitor.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:00 am

Just make sure your head is one the uphill side of that conex DDM......I think it has a little lean going on!?!?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am

Mmmm..... comatose
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:14 am

^^^^novacaine^^^^^
But with my luck, my friend would just say "Hold my beer and watch this" right before sticking a screwdriver someplace it ought not go. Yeah, I'll call 911 for them. But then I'd have to replace a whole lot more than a nut removing capacitor. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by jacksbuddy on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 am

500% dark got me to thinking.

The wife and I are building a new house and there’s four windows in the master bedroom.

Thinking about putting a window unit in each of the four windows and painting the entire room, windows, ceiling, floor and all with this substance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack

Sunday nights sleep was like being on vacation.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm

^^^
You'll break something.

Probably something important.

And then you won't be able to find it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by jacksbuddy on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”