Game Cameras

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Hooded Merganzer
Veteran

Game Cameras

Postby Hooded Merganzer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:59 am

What's your preference? Not wanting to break the bank, but on the market for a decent, reputable camera(s) that are dependable and last more than a season. I've had some in the past that appeared to spook the deer more than others. Too many to choose from these days.....

What qualities are you paying for? Brands? Moultrie, Stealth, Spypoint, Wildgame Innovations, etc...

Thanks
ufgators68
Veteran

Re: Game Cameras

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 am

Not sure if the promotion is still going on but Dick's had Primos Gen 2 Proof cameras on sale for $69 with an additional $30 rebate. I bought 5 and have gotten the rebate on all but 1. Short call to customer service got that last one rolling.

The cameras are pretty nice. Quick trigger, good image resolution and very easy to setup.

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 am

I've "run" (welcome back Anatidae) six Moultrie M-80s for 3-4 years, replaced them with six M-880s used for 2-3 years, then got a couple of M-888s and have used them for 2 years alongside the M-880s.

I have been extremely pleased with the consistency of operation of all these cameras. I've had two, just TWO, go out on me all these years, and this was after a couple of years of running. Each time, the cameras were well out of warranty but Moultrie provided me with a 50% discount code to purchase a replacement model. That's way more than they had to do IMO.

Others will say Moultries are cheap and suck. But that hasn't been my experience, and I've used a lot of their cameras.

That being said, I'm going to try out the Covert MP8s some this year. Moultrie built the M-888 too big IMO. The Covert MP8 gets back to the compact size I like where I can put 6-8 cameras in a bag easily and go easing through the woods.

A non-negotiable for me is a camera that uses 8 AA batteries. I have Eneloop rechargeables that work great and are purchased in packs of 8. I keep each purchased set together to keep from mixing old and new and losing track of what is what.

All of the camera I just mentioned are easily found for $100 each at the time of purchase and can be found in the $75 range if you're patient throughout the year and catch a sale.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
khines2
Regular

Postby khines2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 am

I have had great luck with the Browning cameras. I've had mixed results with Moultries, some have worked for years some haven't made it a season.

I bought two Stealthcams this year off camofire.com that have done good so far. Check camofire.com out they will run specials on cams from time to time.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Moultrie or Browning (made by Moultrie). I'm not thrilled with the one Primos camera I have.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:56 pm

"I run" Browning Strike Force cameras & have been really pleased. The battery life is impressive.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 pm

My oldests and best camera is a cuddly Back. Today I bought myself a spypoint that sends me the pics for 219. I am not sure I like it yet but a decent regular camera is going to cost close to that.
Get in where you fit in!
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 am

Hooded Merganzer
Veteran

Postby Hooded Merganzer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Still haven't decided on preference, but will definitely consider your input while making purchase.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”