Permanent Blind Setting 4x4 Pilings

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Barq's
Veteran

Re: Permanent Blind Setting 4x4 Pilings

Postby Barq's » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:41 pm

Nothing wrong with a blind...especially when its really bad weather and you have a heater handy with some eggs on the grill. Some of my best hunts were out of an 8' X 20' floating blind that started very, very weak and we were there when the ducks finally decided to come back to open water...10:30 - 1pm. A lot of hunts we never fired the gun till close to 11 and a blind allows you to shoot the bull while waiting for prime time.
Make sure we get some pics...good luck
Barq's
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:13 am

There isn't much like standing in the trees and killing ducks, but you aren't going to hunt where I do and stand by a tree. We usually hunt all day or at least till 3. I can't count how many times we have a blind full. Everyone eats breakfast and leaves. 12:30-2:00 we limit out and haven't fired a shot before then. We built a new permanent blind last year, but it's probably a little more than most folks are used to.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119531&hilit=BLIND
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Find an old cheap pontoon boat and rebuild it into a blind.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:24 pm

We used a driver for our docks and stood in the back of a John boat. That is man work driving 4x4's so bring buddies. The bracing is what makes it
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:26 pm

We used a driver for our docks and stood in the back of a John boat. That is man work driving 4x4's so bring buddies. The bracing is what makes it
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
DeadTurtleCreek

Postby DeadTurtleCreek » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Thank you guys for all the help. We ended up using a combination of support methods to hold it up. I had several 8'x2 3/4" hardened steel pipes laying around that were used to help hold it up. The width of them was perfect because standard axle-to-leaf-spring u-bolts fit them perfectly and are easily found at any auto parts store. They are a big help in giving the blind horizontal support (keeping it from wanting to slide or lean in one direction). I think we could have used only them for vertical support but I'm still not sure. Several 4x4 semi-rounded (flat on two sides) wood posts were also driven into the ground to add vertical support. All of this was done using a sledge hammer because somehow my manual pile driver used in the past had a dent in it we couldn't get out.

We kept the original size as planned 6'x24'. It has turned out to be a great size given that we wanted to be able to hunt 8 without a problem. So far we have hunted 7 together with plenty of room and stability hasn't even been a question with all that weight (over 1,300 pounds just from the 7 guys).

Here are some pictures to give anyone else looking for ideas some thought as to how it was done. The metal posts were hammered in the ground and then the u-bolts were put around the posts and tightened on to the main frame's 2x6. We've killed 59 birds out of it so far this year and hoping for more ducks to come down after the split. Still needs more brush, especially on the roof, but it has been working pretty well.
Attachments
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3200.JPG
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:56 am

What is the decking............odd looking boards? I like it though.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Great looking blind....
Barq's
GAHEEL83
Veteran

Postby GAHEEL83 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:30 pm

DeadTurtleCreek