Planting corn and soybeans

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
sadie1
Veteran

Planting corn and soybeans

Postby sadie1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:23 pm

I just picked up some corn and some beans from delta wildlife(thanks dan), but it will be my first time to ever plant either. I dont have my expectations real high just due to not really knowing what i am doing, but want to give it a shot anyway. I figure this to be a good learning experience and really just think it is kind of neat to try. I know i need to get the corn in the ground pretty soon, but i need some advice.
Should i begin with disking or should i spray before i disk?
What should i spray?
Do i need to do a preemerge?
When do i fertilize and with what?
If i plant 2-3 acres and have hogs, are they going to ruin it?
How often should i spray it.

Just general questions. Again, I am not really trying to have the best looking stand in the delta, and can only visit once or twice a month, unless it is just absolutely necessary, but i would like to start learning how to do it, so any advice is appreciated.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: Planting corn and soybeans

Postby Wingman » Tue May 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Planted my Delta Wildlife corn last week. It's 2" tall now. I plant mine with a planter on 38" rows. About 2 seed per foot. I plant the seed 1.5-2" deep, no shallower. I'll spray roundup as a burn down (I planted mine in standing cover crop), then probably spray roundup again in 2-3 weeks. You want to keep it clean when the corn is small. Roundup has no residual effect so the next rain will bring a new flush of weeds.

Fertilize with liquid nitrogen or dry. You can put fertilizer on it right after it comes up, then again about 3 weeks later. Corn likes nitrogen. If you don't fertilize it you aren't gonna get much.

On the beans, I plant 8-9 seed per foot. Plant about an 1-1.5" deep, no deeper. Spray roundup as needed. There are tons of herbicides you can use on beans for different weeds. Roundup isn't the miracle herbicide that it used to be.
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm

If you have hogs don't waste your time planting corn in a food plot. It takes large acreage to have any corn left after they get through.
sadie1
Veteran

Postby sadie1 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue May 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Yes. Been planting my duck holes like this for a while. Works good when soil conditions are right. I don't have a no-till planter and if it's too wet or crusted over, I have trouble closing the seed furrow.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:19 pm

Wingman- what was the stuff you were planting on a levee a few years ago. Seems like it was some type of permenant cover?
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 am

deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Yep. I think it was switchgrass. Signal ?
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Alamo switchgrass for screen. It's 6 years old now and spreading out from the 10' strips I planted.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 pm

I have a good bit of partridge pea, both planted and natural. I planted a mix of partridge pea, western ragweed, wild sunflower, and Black-eyed Susan in some places. Other places I planted a mix of switchgrass, big and little bluestem, partridge pea, and black eyed Susan.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”