Value of turkey rights question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
YazooValley
Veteran

Value of turkey rights question

Postby YazooValley » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm

On an average piece of ground, how much of the total hunting rental value would the exclusive turkey rights be worth? Let's say the place leases for $12 an acre, all hunting included. The property has average Mississippi non-delta deer hunting and average turkey hunting. If you were to separate out the turkey hunting value as opposed to all other game, what would the turkey number be? $2 an acre? $4 an acre? Deer season is a lot longer and a lot more people deer hunt than turkey hunt. But it seems like people will pay a premium for turkeys. Just wondering.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Value of turkey rights question

Postby teul2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:10 am

IMHO, that is really going to come down to the number of birds using the place.
I don't have any experience with separating game out to exclusive leases, so I'll not make myself look stupid by trying to talk about it farther. But I think it is going to be a difficult call.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 am

I think there is some validity to considering, how much time are you going to utilize a piece of property for turkey hunting as opposed to a deer lease for comparison? 4 months with several holiday seasons, lots of days of usage...as opposed to about 6 weeks where you gonna walk in a out at best couple times a week...just something to think about
maverick21
Veteran

Postby maverick21 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:46 am

I think acreage would be a huge factor in the price as well. 200 acres with a couple guys bow hunting deer will hunt as a lot larger piece of land than a couple guys turkey hunting it. You cover a lot more ground in the spring.
SNEAKER
Veteran

Postby SNEAKER » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:48 am

I'd typically say $1-3 per acre. With how hard its gotten to find good turkey places, I'd probably go up to $5 if it was real good, and laid out as an easy place to kill them on.
Or I've also looked at it as I'll pay $300 per bird I think I can kill on it.

You selling or buying?
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:29 am

you've also got to remember that the guys paying $12 an acre for all hunting have to be talked out of turkey hunting. I know people that pay full price to secure exclusive turkey hunting rights.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:44 pm

YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 am

I see lots of ads for all hunting except turkey. They don't seem to be discounted that much.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Hayes
Duck South Addict

Postby Hayes » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:47 am

Most of the time there is not a discount in price per acre if the landowner keeps the turkey rights. Reason being is there are enough deer hunters that do not turkey hunt that will still pay full price.
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 am

ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:20 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”