tree protectors

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

tree protectors

Postby merlebo05 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:52 pm

I planted close to 50 sawtooth oaks and noticed something had bit one of them in half.. I have read that field mice and rabbits are bad to nibble on them during the spring when they start putting off a sap.. So looking into tree protectors from native nurseries those things are almost $5/piece… Has anybody ever used plain PVC pipe cut to about 2-3 ft in length, if so did you get comparable results?? My concern with the PVC pipe is will the trees get enough sunlight?? I thought about chicken wire around them but that would not prevent the field mice from nibbling..
wildturkey
Regular

Re: tree protectors

Postby wildturkey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 am

Look on forestry suppliers website http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... mnum=17141. They have tubes for around $2.30 a piece for a 4ft tube. I usually take a long zip tie and wrap around then because the tabs they use to hold them together come apart easily. You can buy 1 by 2 treated at lowes to make stakes out of. This will increase your survival rate tremendously. I usually spray around my trees about twice a year to kill back the grass competition.

Good luck
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
Winston Churchill
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:57 am

I've read PVC will not work. I've gotten tunes from Forestry Suppliers.
Hayes
Duck South Addict

Postby Hayes » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:06 am

The tree tubes are well worth the money. I get the cheaper 4 ft ones from treeprotectionssupply.com
I then mulch around the tube.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”