Basic planting question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Basic planting question

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:30 am

If there were no barriers to doing so, and you could orient your rows for planting in any direction is there a desirable orientation with regards to the sun and shading of the rows for higher weed control potential?

It seems to me that if the rows are running east and west you would get more sunlight between the rows with less shading from your sunflowers for example. I'm not a farmer and just do a little of this as a hobby and have no idea if it really matters or not?

Curiosity of mine mainly. Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: Basic planting question

Postby donia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:33 am

we always planted for: 1) drainage/erosion control and if erosion isn't an issue 2) working efficiency (more time with implement engaged vs turn around time), but those are both barriers.

what you inquire about makes sense...look at gardens, seems i have always seen 'maters on the east side of garden if rows run north/south and on the north side if rows run east/west because of the shading they cause over other plants (same for okra). shading of weeds between rows would be the same theory as shading of other plants in the garden.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: Basic planting question

Postby Wingman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 pm

There is escape from the sun in the Delta and I have the million freckles to prove it.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”