Shea Patterson commits to Rebs

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Shea Patterson commits to Rebs

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:41 am

Patterson, who is a consensus 5* rated QB, and considered by some recruiting services to be the No 1 QB prospect in the country, publicly committed to Ole Miss yesterday as a prospective member of the 2016 signing class. Plans to graduate HS in Dec, enroll at Ole Miss in Jan 2016, and go through 2016 spring training. IMO, it's a very solid commit. Big get for the Rebs. Could be the biggest impact signee since Eli.

Smoke em' if ya got em Rebs. This young man is the real deal. Hotty Toddy!! And an early Merry Christmas to all fellow Rebs.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Re: Shea Patterson commits to Rebs

Postby mossyisland » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:18 pm

The big thing to me is those that will follow him to Ole Miss. I will go on record and say it. Ole Miss will have the #1 recruiting class in 2016.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:54 pm

He is really good. I hate that LSU missed out on him as he truly is the real deal. He could be the first NFL caliber QB Ole Miss has had on its roster since Eli. Ole Miss is certainly off to a great start in the 2016 recruiting cycle. Congrats!
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

The thing that kills me is a large amount of LSU fans trash talking this kid now. "He won't be a good qb", "Doesn't have the chest to play at LSU, he's a bust", "We didn't want him anyways" blah blah blah.

Good pickup by the Rebs, alot of guys want to play with him. Including his 4 star LB teammate. This could be a Perfect Storm 2.0 as far as recruiting. Kid has good touch on the ball, and good size for a HS Junior. Patterson to Metcalf / Lodge / Jefferson could be something very exciting in the future.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:15 am

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:49 am

He fits the OM system perfectly as he is an accurate, shotgun QB. Felipe Franks, that has committed to LSU, is an under-center style QB. I think both QBs committed at both schools are making the right decision. Moreover, Patterson will be able to be coached by his brother at OM, which is pretty cool.

OM is building quite the monster offensively and will be a force moving forward.
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Shea for Heisman...
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 pm

I was amused at the LSU sports media guys spinning it after that LSU was better off with Franks and that he has more upside than Patterson, so much "implied" that LSU almost let Shea go b/c they had their guy and Frank is the one Cam Cameron wants. Then this week after Shea commits to Ole Miss; LSU offers another QB prospect less than 48 hours later....COME ON MAN, act like the likely #1 QB prospect in the country for 2016 in your own state goes to a divisional rival and LSU coaches were ok with it and really already had the guy they wanted. "JOURNALISM"...whatever....

(***Disclaimer*** Franks might be better than Shea one day and I know it's these guy job to sale memberships to LSU fans, but some of the crap I heard (from one "insider" specifically) was beyond pumping sunshine...)
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:19 pm

hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:52 pm

The following is a list of the top two QBs per class since 05.i didn't go past class of 12 just cause they haven't had a chance to prove themselves. Of this list how many really panned out? I know that some of them did and were great in college and I think three in the pros playing now. The rest? Not sure some of them even started, and I know some of them were complete busts. So that's how much the guys who can rate these high school kids really know. But congrats, looks like you have a 25% chance of having a really all time great commitment.

As a side note I think the people doing the ratings are much better at other positions such as WR, RB, and DE, but it's just hard to predict QBs and there is a lot more to that position.

Mark Sanchez USC
Ryan Perriloux LSU
Matthew Stafford GA
Mitch Mustain AR
Jimmy Clausen ND
Ryan Mallett Mich
Matt Barkley USC
Russell Shephard LSU
Jake Heaps BYU
Phillip Sims AL
Jeff Driskel FL
Braxton Miller OSU
J. Winston FSU
Gunner Kiel ND
work hard, play hard
crenshawco
Regular

Postby crenshawco » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 pm

stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 am

Dude is 6 ft 2 inches.....that's probably a stretch. Better recruit shorter linemen while you are at it

Five-star quarterback Shea Patterson of Shreveport, LA officially committed to the University of Mississippi this week, ending weeks of speculation of where he intends to spend his days in college.

Patterson, who plays for Calvary Baptist is rated by some the third best quarterback prospect in the country and for Mississippi, on paper it’s a huge get if his commitment stays firm.

While five-star quarterbacks are great to get, let me remind you fan boys, they don’t always work out and specifically for Ole Miss or those out of the state of Louisiana. I urge you zealous recruiting stalkers to pump the brakes on Shea Patterson.

Back to Patterson – we should not be surprised that Ole Miss fan would throw a Mardi Gras like party over the 6-2 and 195 lb high school kid. Ole Miss has been searching for the next great quarterback since Eli Manning left campus. Since the departure of Manning back in 2003, Ole Miss has gone through 15-quarterbacks in hopes the next one would be the great one, and every time they have heralded him as “the one”.

Do we not remember Ethan Flatt and Michael Spurlock back in 2004 and how great they were going to be? Or five star Louisiana native Robert Lane and his anointing to greatness? Transfer Seth Adams was bound to light the SEC on fire then five-star transfer Brent Schaffer was destined to take the Rebels to the promise land.

Jevan Snead was the next best thing to honey wheat toast, then he was thrown under the bus after back to back Cotton Bowls. Nathan Stanley, Billy Tapp and Raymond Cotton were going to make Alabama forget about football, while Jeremiah Massolli would win the Heisman.

Zach Stoudt is the son of NFL great Cliff Stoudt and he would have a banner hung next to Manning after he left Ole Miss and Barry Brunetti was going to run wild in Oxford. Randall Mackey was going to be Cam Newton and Bo Wallace was a schizophrenic (you know good BO bad BO). Of that list of 15 quarterbacks, three were five star quarterbacks and several were four-stars, with really only Wallace and Snead having any success. And now it looks as though the Rebels will go away from highly publicized quarterbacks Divante Kincaid and Ryan Buchanan.

While on paper, Patterson looks like a home run, this is hardly the case when talking about the state of Louisiana and high school quarterbacks. Louisiana is known for producing top notch SEC talent, but has failed miserably when talking about quarterbacks.

Since 1999 there have been 12-high level 3-star to 5-star quarterbacks from the boot and only two have been worth their salt on the field and both happened to have played in the Magnolia State. Eli Manning is the obvious one when thinking about Louisiana high school quarterbacks then its – you guessed it, Dak Prescott.

Manning is on the front end and Prescott on the back end and everyone in between has been basically abysmal.

Marcus Randal had a very sub-par career at LSU, while 5-star stud Brock Berlin bounced around the state of Florida having a dud career. Surely everyone remembers 4-star air raid machine Brent Rawls who signed with Oklahoma or prep phenom Lester Ricard who left LSU to play at Tulane?

Ryan Perrilloux was supposed to be Vince Young before Vince Young and never got started good in Baton Rouge. Steven Ensminger signed with Auburn and left the program, Jordan Jefferson could barely throw a forward pass at LSU and Zach Oliver went to Northwestern. And of course we know how great Brandon Harris was at LSU this past season.

This is hardly a knock on Patterson as a quarterback because he may be the next Andrew Luck, but then again he might be the next Robert Lane. Ole Miss has had success with only 13-percent of the quarterbacks they have signed since Eli Manning and only 16-percent of Louisiana prep quarterbacks have gone on to have good college careers, dating back to 1999. When you run the numbers, it simply says pump the breaks on Patterson and see how he pans out. Quarterbacks are the hardest position to project from one level to the next.

Nobody ever thought Chris Relf would be any kind of an SEC quarterback and all he did was go 17-10 as a starter, win two bowl games and go 3-0 in the Egg Bowl. And who would’ve thunk Dak Prescott would have two straight years where he is mentioned with the word “Heisman”.

All this is to say, you nor I really know how Patterson is gonna pan out, but if I were you, I’d be very cautious – the percentages sure don’t play into your favor.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Easy now, don't go ruining this Ole Miss recruiting party with facts now........ :lol: Didn't you know that Ole Miss is now a perennial power house in the SEC West that will have top 5 recruiting classes for the next 20 years? Don't believe me, just ask an Ole Miss fan? :lol: :lol:
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:48 pm

davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Well it didn't take long for them to get butthurt over that article. :roll:
Guess they don't believe in the whole wait and see approach. Oh well, if he does flop (assuming he signs) they'll deny this discussion ever took place.

Return to “Sports Forum”