Inexpensive Boat Blind Design

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Inexpensive Boat Blind Design

Postby Anatidae » Thu May 29, 2014 10:21 pm

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: Inexpensive Boat Blind Design

Postby Anatidae » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:16 pm

AH........100 views....no replies........y'all are being too nice......maybe a little skeptical, too. :lol:

I have a little more Velcro to add here and there….and I have to ‘mud’ the fore, aft, and starboard camo panels (nets)…..and there’s some detail work around the bow that I have to do with the nets ‘on’ the boat……..but I’m getting close to finishing this project.

The aft (rear) hoop is stored on the floor right in front of the drop deck. The fore (front) hoop folds flat on the deck allowing access to the deck hatch. Each hoop has their respective nets ‘on’ them.

Set-up:

Insert the aft hoop in the eyebolts….

Hook the transfer lines to the lift brackets on the motor…..(new aluminum ‘take-up’ blocks)

Hang dog ladder off hunt deck (not shown because of trailer bunk) and secure with spud pole – hook-up the cord that supports the nets over the dog perch.

Undo the Velcro on the nets and roll’em out onto the motor after muffler cools-off.
Undo Velcro off side nets – raise the front hoop (and net), and hook each end of the top cords on the side nets into the eyelets on the hoops. Push the bottom of each side net over the gunwale until the perimeter cord snaps under the gunwale (under it’s own tension). I’ve also installed some Velcro in 4 places along the underside of the gunwales on both sides that match-up to Velcro on the bottom inside of the side nets.

Put seat brackets and seats in place……(get guns, gear, etc. out, and situated)

Pull the cover flaps from fore, aft, and port side nets and Velcro them to the side nets…..

Interior view…..

(Those Easton 2018 shafts are for when the nets get wet and have a tendency to sag because of that 10' -8" span on the parachute cord. A 300# MM can only put so much tension on the cords. So, the arrow shafts can be 'knocked' onto the top cord to cut the 'sagging' span in 3rd's. The net behind the guns is the only one with Cordura on it to resist wind and rain. Everything else is die-cut nylap on lightweight mesh netting.)

Pull starboard (14”) and port (6”) side flaps over the top

That's it. :shock:

Rear Oblique.....

Front Oblique...('mudding' is a must!......that front net is WAY too shiney, eh?)

'Kinda looks like a big-ugly alligator. :? :roll: 'Gator Blind', maybe? :mrgreen:

Keep in mind, we stick cane up all around the boat before we start putting the blind up. And before we pull all the flaps over the 30” x 10’- 8” clear opening, we pull natural grass out of a decoy bag and sprinkle it on all surfaces. (Stubble straps will help hold it in place on windy days). Then when it gets close to shooting time, we pull the flaps over the top, and finish grassing everything. Nothing but our heads (including the dog’s head) are sticking out of the blind, and as long as you don’t whip’em around too much, ducks usually never know we’re there. The cane we put behind us is usually taller and hangs over our heads a bit - to give us a bit of a canopy.....and break-up our outline.

What are the 3 holes on the bow net for?.......(view of front hoop folded flat)…….

…….removeable light bar and power receptacle……

And here’s the blind folded-up, ready for ‘running’ :mrgreen:

That sheet rubber flap on the bottom of the light bar is so I can't see the glare off the bow surface in front of the lights.

It's by no means perfect, but it works well for us. Maybe it'll give you some ideas this Fall when you get ready to put a blind on your boat at the last minute. 8)
Last edited by Anatidae on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Outstanding Randy!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:02 pm

Looks good Mr Randy! Looks like a well thought out design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh Lantrip
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks, guys.

Trip, I just wish I'd seen a photo of that Beavertail Blind cover in Muddy Water camo about 4 months ago.

I think Gary ('cupnglide') out-did me on material selection for the proposed 'cover' on his homemade blind ('basically the same hull configuration).

Honestly, I don't think my 'trapeeze' will hold-up too well under the weight of the Cordura.....at least not as long a span as I've got from hoop-to-hoop (almost 11 feet). But I really like having that much floor space. You could actually hunt 3 adults and a child out of this set-up if you don't mind crawling over each other during the set-up/take-down process. :roll:

Oh, well :roll: If I go the Cordura route in the future, I'll either enlist the aid of a seamstress to sew'em up for me or get a sewing machine, myself - once I finish the detail work around the bow flaps, I'm 'done', for now! :lol:
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 am

I like that one Randy!
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:08 am

Looks good. Just wish you could still retain the "fluffiness" of the cerex when you attach to backing stuff. I've got a few manhours sewing burlap. Made a needle outa tig wire and used old nylon deep sea fish line for lasting thread. Kept w/mothballs saved mine since '03....still in good shape.
Amazing attention to detail.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks Denduke.

I know you're an improv. & detail kinda guy......and a 'thinker', like myself.

Detail: I guess the date and hours on that piece of duct tape on the oil filter gave it away, huh? :roll:

Yeah - re: fullness......I stretched it a little too tight on the mesh - shoulda let it 'bunch-up' just a bit. The good thing is - it'll all be covered-up with natural grass. The nets are actually just a 'base layer' that keeps everything else out of the interior. 'Takes a little more time to get set-up with natural stuff, but beats sitting out in the open in a vertical-sided high-rise. I'm hoping the stubble straps will make the difference in any 1-dimensional surface (regardless of how great the 'pattern' is) and something with more depth and texture. Your burlap with rope, rags, and rafia accomplishes that.

BTW - I'm on my 3rd spool (100yd ea.) of 65# test 'Power Wire' fishing line. Remember, it HAS to be puppy-proof. :wink:
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Up here when we hunt out of the boat, water usually ranges from 5'-20'+…but we're able to utilize the trees around us as a backdrop / overhead cover. Burlap or military netting has been about all we've ever used since I was a kid. Regardless of how good a year we had, there's always improvements to be made though…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh Lantrip
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:31 pm

That last photo is a thing of beauty. A well equipped machine with everything in its own place and no clutter just gives a warm fuzzy feeling. Thanks for the detailed pics!

One question: how long does it take to setup the blind, not including brushing?

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:15 pm

Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:30 pm

The "real" military netting isn't really "available" anymore that I know of. I have tons of it where I'm at and would love just one box of it (could probably easily do 2 boats). The backing material is a dense weave type mosquito netting that is really durable and covered with real looking camo on the outside. I'd hate to know what it costs but it would be worth the money if you could buy it.

Is there anyway that ya'll could send me the pics of the above set-ups to: sbarq1@yahoo.com

I can't see any of the pics attached to this thread....
Thanks,
Barq's
+
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:24 pm

The blind is not much to look at (i.e., it's not 'pretty').......but it works. I plan on spending a lot of time in it the next few season., so I'm trying to make it quicker, easier, more versatile and more comfortable.

I'll copy/paste the text then insert/re-size photos and convert it to a .PDF to e-mail 2 separate files (skeleton and skin) to you .

Reply via e-mail when you get the .pdf about the blind skeleton. If it goes through, I'll compile and send you another one about the cover. :wink:

Just sent it 8:10 p.m. CST

Thanks for the info on the military netting. Keep your head down over there.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: Inexpensive Boat Blind Design - 'Grassed-up'

Postby Anatidae » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:03 pm

I still have a couple more stubble straps to add here and there, but this is my view from the forward gunner's seat (i.e., standing-up).......showing how well the dog is hidden on the hunt deck.........

It's hard to get a photo of the whole thing without being in another boat........but there have been more times this year that birds finished inside of 25yds and had NO clue we were there. This includes 3 occassions that we have taken honkers in the timber.........and not pass shooting them, either. So, it must blend-in pretty well with the surroundings.

Overall, it has been worth all the sewing I did during the Summer months, trying to get this ready by November.

BTW - the grass stays on the nets and just rolls-up in them for storage.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Nice! I really like the low-profile aspect as well as the method for reducing the "skirt flap" effect.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”