Croakers

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Croakers

Postby Denduke » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Hottest bait on the coast lately... live croakers...you gotta make em look alive :lol:
Started with some long craftfur and gold stuff(kids clip hair), some gold crystal flash, then EP fibers alternating with some SF shrimp colored fibers(got lil gold flash in it). Tied some crystal flash on each side and anchored it in the center with the glued eyes. Trimed and dabbed some brown and yellow sharpepies. Tried to emphasize a gold/ yellow sparkle w/ white belly and a drum shape profile.

[url="https://postimg.org/image/4dmjz7bsr/"][/url]

[url="https://postimg.org/image/dmoq9bkor/"][/url]

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: Croakers

Postby deltadukman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:57 am

Are you flyfishing for specks on the coast? When we fish with croakers we normally Carolina rig them on the bottom.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:23 am

If I ever get a chance to go. Inshore just starting to get better after all the rains/fresh water. Just got 14' boat so no island stuff unless with soninlaws bay boat. Technically you could use these wit Carolina or under a pop cork but the problem they're saying is artificialls are not working well lately. They want the live bait. Any flyflinging would need to be moderately shallow water too.
I like to use a popper(instead of cork) and light weight dropper in the marsh when I get the chance. In fly fishing you cast the line the more weight of the flies makes it more difficult. Get "hit in the head with half a chicken" so to speak. These fiber streamers are a bit bulky to double up trying to cast 70'+.

It's been awhile since I had a good opportunity. Its about filing coolers when distance, gas is more important than my "hobby" most times...here's a few from Lake Borgne couple years ago off the fly. The reds will get all the kinks outa your line!!!!

BTW. The EP, Enrico Puglisi, fibers shed water well when casting as compared to bucktail, marabou, etc that tend to sog and get heavey... kinda pricey.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:15 pm

That's some dang good looking croaker flies.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”