Arkie tailwaters????

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Arkie tailwaters????

Postby Denduke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:22 pm

The AGFC fishing report site don't work anymore...
Anybody been lately? Flood pools/Newport gates,what have you, got lotta water releases. I think Lil Red and Norfork have been fishable till noon. The Spring is always fishable. Antsy about a trip...got stuff ready for "hopper droppers" with some new caddis pupae and new soft "San Juan worms".

The UV resin over the lil glass beads look real "buggy"!!
cupnglide
Veteran

Re: Arkie tailwaters????

Postby cupnglide » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Great looking flies. I'm thinking they will catch a few.
Never assume.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 am

Good lord if I could tie a fly like you... how much money would I save when I go to the little red...

I'm getting antsy for a trip myself. I fished the little red summer before last almost every day because I was working up there. #Perks
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:00 pm

We went two weeks ago. Norfork. There was a big rain and the rivers down stream were swollen. Not as much generation on the Norfork. We caught a few. Nothing phenomal but fun. We also went to Missouri and fished the north fork of the white. couple of FAT 18" fish rhat fought for a good 6-7 minutes. Also caught my first bronze back. Rivers have dropped and the generation has been 24/7. Next trip of significance will probably be October.
Attachments
IMG_5260.JPG
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks for the heads up; pretty brown. I was afraid I waited too long and now that the lower rivers are down; more releases to lower flood pools of the lakes gonna make wading tough. Sister lives in The Pass, maybe specks and reds time till fall. I think the water's finally getting right for that. Retirement is getting tough.... I got calluses on my hand from flyflinging... :shock: :lol: the lakes have gotten hot and I've thinned out lotta big mouths around here :evil:

Lil froggies...

Using the UV lite hardening resin, Solarez, to make some buggy looking stuff lately....Later DL

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 pm

I've tried the Loon thick resin as well as the thin resin. The thick stuff didn't stick as well as I would like. Looked great on the bench but poor after a few cast. I used it for wing cases mostly. Hard to beat a worm and red midge yet I tie everything else.
Attachments
IMG_5320.JPG
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Got a fox squirrel for some nymphs and discovered a great caddis dry fly out in Idaho outa some CDC feathers off a mallard's butt. The feather stems come out front for antennae and the float great. Got lil olive embroidery thread for bodies. I rarely do small dries.

Saw a pic of some larvae outa the moss at Lil Red been tryin to match. I like the translucence wit glass beads, plastic craft tubing, and the Solarez I got. It doesn't finish tacky like the stuff I got at the nail parlor boutique.

I already got midges but I don't usually go smaller than 4X maybe 5X when nutton else works. Hate it when I raise the rod on hook set and brake dat lil stuff off....

My version of holy grails
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Fine looking flies,DD! I like the natural effect that resin gives the worms. Liking that use of CDC too. If that caddies floats as naturally as it looks, it will be a killer.
Never assume.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Denduke, check your pm’s
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 pm

I made a trip up to the Spring River on Christmas Eve. Dropped my daughter off at NEA Baptist for work and headed that way. Fishing was excellent, couldn’t catch fish and take pictures too. I caught my fill then loaded up, headed back and met the daughter for dinner. First fishing trip ever on Christmas Eve, I highly recommend.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Glad it worked out. Tried calling couple of times. Never fished the winter. Did you fish around Dam 3/ Hatchery or up around Lassiter? I checked Mark Crawford's blog said water kinda green but that makes them bite better...
Any browns, cuttys? Great thing about that place is they like larger brighter flies compared to other tailwaters. I wondered if anyone ever set up duck, Canada decoys and hunted the place.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:59 pm

It was all rainbows and I was several miles South of Dam #3. Now that duck seasons over I’ll be headed over at least once a month with some buddies who I introduced to the Spring last year.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:05 pm

I hope you did better than us. We floated with MarkCrawford one morning before heading up to BP Aquarium/ Museum at Springfield, Wow!!! We only caught a few and no big ones. Was cold. AGFC are stocking lots smaller fish now. BTW I understand they’ve built a pier all way up to Dam 3 but we didn’t check it out; we stayed on the move. The other tailwaters are all flood pool except LilRed but we struggled there on our way back home. Forget DogWoodCanyon, Mo. pay to fish. Only caught a couple.
Wonder why can’t post pics from postimage.com ???
Killed the whole post!
Gonna have to go here for pics
http://forums.bullnettlenews.com/90-mis ... -trip.html
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am

We almost always do pretty good (there was one trip with a big storm front looming that sucked) but I’ve fished that river for 28+ years. I’ve learned of a honey hole or two in that amount of time. Hope to head back over there as soon as the rains subside, lord knows when that’ll be...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”