Turtles? Frogs?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Turtles? Frogs?

Postby Denduke » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Last edited by Denduke on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: Turtles?

Postby deltadukman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 am

That's pretty cool. How do those big things cast on a fly rod?
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Re: Turtles?

Postby Denduke » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:46 am

The deer hair ones no problem not sure yet on the foam ones....Might need to wear crash helmet.... Failed to pack enough hair on the sides of the brown one. Might tie in a "cord" for a tail and put some whisker up front and make a mouse out of it. Of course the hollow deer hair floats. The other problem shoulda used sued instead of felt for longevity. Mostly a novelty but will try sumthin like them next spring on some bass beds. Years ago when I was eating lotta bass I found a mud turtle in the stomach of a 6# bass. Tried to picture how that worked i.e. What the turtle would be able to do to the inside of the bass before it croaked! Buds said he watched a guy try to catch a big bass for 2 hrs on a bed when he moved on he went over threw the plastic version he got from cabelas and caught/ released the fish. Not a normal food maybe but nest intrusion it's his booty!

Big deer hair bugs
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Re: Turtles? Frogs?

Postby Denduke » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Last edited by Denduke on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:37 am

I am not much of a fisherman, and haven't done any real fly fishing, so please forgive the ignorance of my question.
But, given the larger size, and I assume really light weight of those frogs, do you have to use a heavier fly line to cast it?
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 am

Here's the info
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... ntry680597

I was worried about the opposite. Heavy bulky bugs are harder to cast. "Hit in the head with half a chicken" so to speak. They cast fine with an 8 wt rod. But I opted for a smaller version. I was worried they would be too heavy. The round head actually makes a great popping sound. This foam stuff is new to me I hope they stand up to ole bucket mouth's savage smacks typical of frog reactions.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”