Fly Fishing locals

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Fly Fishing locals

Postby matador1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:55 am

Always wanted to learn how, going to a FF101 at Orvis Saturday provided I dont get Davis on a turkey and get help up. Any loclaguys Fly Fish a lot. Would love to get together nad learn more about it. Keep hearing how addictive it is.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Re: Fly Fishing locals

Postby Denduke » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:25 am

Great sport, technique, some say an art. You won't ever regrets it. Too much to get into details but it's easer w/casting instructor...

And when you can get the hang of it nothing like hiring a top notch guide on your trips....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8HEGOXSz3w
Jackson got 2 sources never been to the Orvis store. Not sure about your budget but might rent a $700 Helios and experience just how tight loops can be then the wifey prolly spring for Clearwater class stuff to begin with. Have fun!
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:22 pm

I'm in Little Rock, AR, so I'm not "local". Tons of fly fishing up my way. Trout fishing galore.

This was last weekend:

There's certainly some around Jackson, but not "typical" fly fishing opportunities. You can catch crappie, bass, bluegill with great success when you begin to develop your casting ability. From Jackson, you are a good 6 hours from quality trout waters. If I were you, I'd get decent with your casting (hit targets at 50' consistently without getting sloppy casts) and get a guide in the Louisiana marsh for redfish. Sight fishing + fly fishing = too much fun.

I'm headed to Hawaii with my wife in May, and I'm hoping to get out one day for bonefish on the flats around Honolulu with a guide. I intentionally planned a 36 hour layover in Honolulu to fish for bonefish before we go to Kona.

If you want to chase trout and want to put up serious #'s, I'd suggest getting a fly fishing guide in Arkansas. You'll spend years learning on your own what your could learn in one weekend with a good quality guide. Teaching you how to read the water, where the fish are, line management in moving water, and practical casting techniques. You can go with a friend who will help you a little, but I doubt you have a friend who won't pick up a rod for 8 hours a day, and stand by your side and show you what to do. Plus a good guide will (or at least should) know more than 99% of weekend anglers about fly fishing. I know a few good ones in Arkansas, and a couple in Louisiana if you need help with that. Keep in mind freshwater trout guides in Arkansas are almost half as expensive as a saltwater guide.

I learned at a very young age of around 9 and would spend 30 days in a summer fly fishing for trout on the great lake tributaries for 3 summers. So I was ahead of the curve. I've started fishing with a two handed fly rod (called a spey or switch rod) a little in the last year and a half. I've improved to be slightly better than bad at it. But learning a new way to fly fish brings back the excitement of learning in the very beginning.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
bmanning3
Regular

Postby bmanning3 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Ian will probably be doing your class and is a standup guy who will do wonders for your cast in the 101 class. As mentioned abovve, when it comes to properly presenting a fly to fish (I.e. Trout) a guide is your best bet. You really can learn a whole lot in a short amount of time. I have spent years fishing the little red, white (specifically bull shoals area) and the norfork. When I was in college I spent 2-3 weekends a month in heber springs and then my senior year I didn't have Monday classes so I would venture to the white and norfork on the weekends more. As far as guides go, in that area Jamie Rouse and his crew are hands down the best. They are friendly, knowledgable, and can downright put you on fish. It's awesome to see new folks getting into the sport. I'm no Lefty Kreh, but if I can help with any pointers or anything don't hesitate to shoot me a pm.
bmanning3
Regular

Postby bmanning3 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:25 pm

matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Man, what a blast! Ian and Bmanning were great teachers! Treated my 10 year old son like he was one of the guys. Left there and had to go try our luck. As luck would have it we caught them bedding and wore the break out. Caught about 50 between the two of us. Found a new addiction.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Awesome! I can't tell you how invaluable it is for your son to learn young from a skilled teacher. It will eliminate so many bad habits that can be developed without proper instruction in the learning phase. Don't be ashamed when he's out-casting you in a couple years. Fly casting is almost 50% timing and 50% finesse. If you try and compensate by adding muscle to substitute for the other two, your cast will go to crap and get sloppy, you will just get frustrated. Kids and women don't struggle with this fact nearly as much as grown men. That's why women learn fly casting faster than men. They also tend to listen rather than have a know-it-all attitude.

Bream are an amazing way to cut your teeth on getting your fly rod bent. Especially if you are dealing with decent sized ones that will take a small popper, or if you can see the fish before you cast. That is a great way to practice casting to specific targets.

Glad you're addicted! Good thing it's not one of the most expensive hobbies you can have :roll: :lol:. It's easy to get carried away with all the gear.

Here's the best video on what to know about getting into fly fishing out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IeSul1qc6k&ab_channel=HankPatterson
Support the Fair Tax!

Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Sposed to be video....oh well
Last edited by Denduke on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:32 am

Lots of good advice on this thread.

My fly casting is like a guy's bad golf swing: Sometimes it's ugly, but it works...usually. But if he'd straighten his swing out, he could be a top notch player.

My grandfather gave me my first fly rod of his at age 8. We cast for awhile in the front yard and I took it from there.

I've had many long, hard years of hard learning on how to run a fly rod. What I'd of given to have gotten a weekend of quality lessons.

I don't know first-hand about his fishing abilities, but if Jamie Rouse and crew catch half as many sow-mammas that they post up on instagram, then that's who I'd go with.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm

I stopped by the Bham, AL Orvis shop and met bmanning. It was a great visit. We talked rivers, favorite flies, boats. He has this big screen TV behind his fly tying desk. We pulled up google maps and planned a few local float trips when the river gets right.

That shop is dangerous. He had me almost talked into a new Helios II 2wt. Maybe one day. Highly recommend y'all drop by if passing through Bham.
Never assume.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:31 am

Another good day fishing in Arkansas. My first three trout species day to the best of my recollection. Several nice browns, a brook, and a rainbow. I was throwing big streamers trying for big trout. It's not a numbers game. Most fish will be over 16". Rarely do you catch the smaller ones, but thankfully I found and aggressive brook and rainbow to diversify my day.

Support the Fair Tax!

matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:44 am

So, we've fished 6 out of the last 9 days and I'v ehad more fun in those 6 than the last 40 years of fishing. So far, between Davis and I we are over 200 bream, 25 or so bass, and I landed a 10 lb grass carp. I literally heard a turkey gobble for the pond yesterday and couldn't leave to chase him. Addicted!
bmanning3
Regular

Postby bmanning3 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Cupnglide it was great to meet you finally. And I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction on where to run the boat yesterday. Stop on by the shop anytime. Looking forward to a fishing trip in the near future, got confirmation this afternoon that the stripers are officially running in choccolocca.

Matador- Davis isn't outfishing you yet is he? He picked up casting awfully fast. Glad to hear yall have officially caught the bug!
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Matador, carp on the fly is one of the funniest times in freshwater! Those big fish in the shallows can get addicting.
Never assume.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:35 am

Support the Fair Tax!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”