Kayaks

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Kayaks

Postby mfalkner » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Anybody using a kayak to fish small ponds/lakes/rivers? Got some basic kwerstions.
sevenhead
Veteran

Re: Kayaks

Postby sevenhead » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:14 am

I just started last year. It's a good time for sure. Started out with a 10ft SOT and outfitted myself to save money and space. Sure wish I would've coughed up the extra dough for the 12ft.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 am

Obviously they are good for skinny water; do you feel like you give up too much in terms of stability, ease of casting etc? Do you use it on lakes any?
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:46 am

I know it's a little different then a Kayak but I got a P-row that fishes like a champ from Pintail boats.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
sevenhead
Veteran

Postby sevenhead » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:51 am

They all have drawbacks, but mine is pretty wide and very stable. I can sit on the side of mine with feet in the water no problem or stand up. Drawback is it's like paddling ping pong ball through the water and slow as molasses. Once I got in mine and used it a few times I started getting a better feel of balance. Casting hasn't been a problem except for how I set up my rod holders, they point outwards just a bit so sometimes I can hit one in my backswing. Me and a couple buddies have been on a few lakes but not real large ones, been looking for places I can put in off the rez on the rankin side.
bmanning3
Regular

Postby bmanning3 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:34 pm

i started fly fishing for bass out of mine last year and have been hooked ever since. i have the ascend fs128t and it's really comfortable to fish out of. i have never tried fishing out of a "sit in" style kayak, but i couldn't imagine it being nearly as functional. I have, on the other hand, been in an 8' and 10' sit on top kayak and if you have any size to you they are borderline miserable to fish out of. I'm around 6'2" 210 and i can stand up on mine and double haul an 8 weight fly rod all day long without ever feeling tippy. the only downside is that it is relatively slow compared to some of the higher end jackson and hobie fishing kayaks. but for the ponds and small lakes that i fish with it, it's plenty fast and tracks straight.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Good stuff, thanks.

bmanning, the ascend is more in line with my budget - not wanting to go crazy just to see if I like it. I know it's a little heavier than the higher end boats; is the material and construction OK?

MIke
bmanning3
Regular

Postby bmanning3 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:57 pm

it's very well built in my opinion. I like a lot of the features like the front and rear nets, as well as the dry storage. The seat is very comfortable, but I did have an issue with the side bolt on the seat frame coming out. I replaced it with a different bolt and a vinyl nut and lock-washer and that took care of it. I can't remember if the anchor trolley came on it or not, but that is a very useful deal to have.
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:32 am

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a kayak or pirogue to fish the backwaters. Which do you guys like better and will either go up stream fairly easy? Sorry for the hijack
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby duckkiller » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 pm

I bougt a wilderness12 from bass pro to fish small creeks and stuff around here I love it, in the last 3 years my bass boat has only been in the water twice
Life is to short to only fish on weekends
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:13 am

I fish mine everywhere from the marsh, neighborhood pond to 2-3 miles out in the Gulf or Lake Ponchartrain. Wilderness Ride 135. Caught everything from bass to redfish and sharks out of it. I've gotten a little uncomfortable a few time when the weather has snuck up on me in the saltwater.
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:39 am

zackly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks again.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Go with at least a 12 foot. Believe it or not the longer ones are faster and easier to handle. Don't know what your price range is but for under a grand look at heritage anglers, perception pescadors, or ocean kayaks. Whatever you buy make sure it has a good seat or buy a good one to go with it. Weight can be an issue depending on if you have to carry it very far to launch.
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:36 am

For those of you with kayaks, come check out the BluzCruz in Vicksburg in a few weeks. It's a good way to hang out with other paddlers and check out a bunch of different setups. Everything from 10' kayaks to 20'+ surf skis.
http://bluzcruz.com
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Wilderness, native, and hobie are the big 3 when it comes to fishing kayaks.

Yall come down to Grand Isle this summer and fish ride the bull. Cash payout will be around 3500$ plus a new kayak worth 1400 or so
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”