Finally caught a carp on the fly

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Finally caught a carp on the fly

Postby duramax » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:54 am

With all the rain from the weekend, I targeted a flooded portion of a lake where I expected the carp to move into the shallows. I was right. They were everywhere. While rigging up, my new TFO BVK 6wt snapped. I've heard from many folks that they are somewhat known for doing that. My only option was to use my 3wt Orvis. Slightly under powered for 10lb carp, but my only option. Unfortunately they were in spawning mode, so they were mostly cruising and gave little to no interest in my fly. I finally did get one to take an egg imitation, and he was off to the races. There wasn't much I could do to stop him other than tighten my reel all the way down and almost point my rod at him to get him to stop before it made it to the bushes on the other side of the cove. He wrapped himself around a tree, and I had to give him slack and he worked himself free. About 5 minutes later I beached him and couldn't be happier. I got one more to eat a small carp fly crawfish imitation, but he broke me off in 2 seconds seeing as I dropped down to 6lb tippet to see if I could get them to eat. He was just shy of 10lbs. I know lots of folks don't care much for carp, but they are quite the adversary on rod and reel and lots of fun to catch.

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
legends of the lower mars
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Finally caught a carp on the fly

Postby legends of the lower mars » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 am

That sounds like a blast! I know hooking redfish on a fly is off the chain! I would imagine in comparison, they both fight and run in shallow water about the same... I might have to try it!
WHO DAT!

TOURNAMENT REDFISHING TEAM

A man may have many dogs in his life, but, a "True Legend" comes only once...

NOTICE! USERNAME SHOULD READ---"Legends of the Lower Marsh"
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 am

Support the Fair Tax!

ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:54 pm

glad you were finally able to hook up! i haven't seen the carp again like i did there for a while back, when i talked to you. Hate, that didn't work out. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some more carp holes :mrgreen:

congrats again!
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Support the Fair Tax!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”