Need help selecting a new GPS fish finder

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Need help selecting a new GPS fish finder

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu May 23, 2013 7:57 am

I am currently running a Garmin 200series. Well it has shat the bed and will not work at all anymore. I fish mats and only use the gps part of the monitor to get there and then use sonar to find the mat. I use a pole and a different display for my sonar.

I was wondering what to buy. I know I need a GPS but is side imaging or down imaging something I should go after? I guess down imaging would be best beings I am fishing a vertical structure. Again I only fish mats/beds no trolling or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated before I spend some money. I have about two weeks before I start fishing hard.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: Need help selecting a new GPS fish finder

Postby deltadukman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 am

Down imiging is what I have and it cannot compare to side imaging. Side imaging takes a little getting used to and it is helpful if you have someone who knows it to help show you how to run it. Go over to the crappie forum at www.bullnettlenews.com and those guys know alot about it.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 am

Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Thu May 23, 2013 9:27 am

ddm is right or go to crappie.com as well. Pleeeennnty of info on sonar over there. They are eager to help too.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu May 23, 2013 9:48 am

Preciate the help men.
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 am

I've got a Humminbird Side Imaging Unit at the helm along with Down Imaging and love it. Have a Garmin on the bow of the boat. One thing with Garmin units is that they include the trolling motor transducer free with each unit.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
Nitro Mag
Veteran

Postby Nitro Mag » Thu May 23, 2013 2:46 pm

I prefer Lowrance because it is what i am used to, but Hummingbird is good too. I would definitely go with side and down imaging and would go with at least a 7 inch screen. If you have any specific questions ask away. I am far from a professional with the side/down imaging but I do know a good amount about it.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Guess where I am confused is that I am seeing all of these mounted on the console or driving area of the boat. I do not need this application for that. Maybe it would help if I explain my current setup.
I am using a Garmin GPS just to navigate to the bed, but I have it mounted to a 6 volt battery (its portable.) I use sonar with a down pole on the front of the boat and a flash monitor. This is pretty old school stuff because I have taken people fishing and they have no idea what I am reading on my flash monitor. It is also hell when you are trying to mark a bed that maybe old, the cover has deteriorated, even a school of shad can throw it off. I control everything from the front of the boat.

I am looking for a bow mounted unit, where I can use gps to navigate, and then use down imaging or sonar to read the bed while I am fishing. I would like the get rid of the down pole and flasher monitor and transition to something that I can easily use, or even have a friend run the boat and be able to mark and hold on the bed. I have a few people that I would let fish my beds that do not have a boat and they cannot read the flash monitor. If you are not on the bed, then you are wasting your time.

I have seen images of the side scan and down scan and there is know doubt an 8” x 8” stick bed would stick out like a sore pecker, but there were things like fish that I couldnt read. I guess I am really behind as far as technology goes but this has all been working until my GPS went down. I just hate to spend 500 on a GPS and can spend a few extra bills and have something really nice and get rid of the flash monitor that I have been using. My budget is around 700 but I don’t mind spending more if it’s worth it.

Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it.
Nitro Mag
Veteran

Postby Nitro Mag » Fri May 24, 2013 7:50 am

In that case I would just buy a good color gps/sonar unit. You can buy a Lowrance HDS7 for around 700. It comes with a regular transducer that you can mount to your trolling motor. If you want to add structure scan later on you could but the regular sonar would do what you want to do. One thing about side/down imaging is the boat needs to be moving at 3-5 mph for it to give a good clear image. I have no experience with them but both Hbird and Lowrance make units that are just down imaging only that may would work for what you want too.
Nitro Mag
Veteran

Postby Nitro Mag » Fri May 24, 2013 7:54 am

Also check out BBG or BOE marine whatever you decide to purchase. You have to call them for best prices because they can not advertise them on internet. They usually have some great prices, and also check out universalmania.com they have a lot of good sales from time to time. YOu can read up on the sonar too at bassboatcentral.net and go to the lowrance or hummingbird forums. Those guys know what they are doing.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 am

Thanks for the help boss....
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri May 24, 2013 8:36 am

I like the down imaging for its simplicity. Im got some 5XX untit from Hummingbird. Its nice, I can kind of see some stuff pretty clear, but it is no side imaging rig. I do not have GPS as I have a hand held and other devices for that.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 am

Guess my biggest concern is speed. When I am fishing a bed I am not moving or trying to not move much; therfore I dont know how much I am going to see. I do know the units I have looked at have sonar built in so I could use it. Talked to my friend last night in Itta Bena for about an hour, and he said that the humming birds units are really simple to use. I guess my thing is that I know where I am going, so I am really going to be useing the unit to hold on the bed. I do know I am open to finding new beds, nothing wrong with having to much to fish.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”