Crappie Mount?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DINK
Regular

Crappie Mount?

Postby DINK » Mon May 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Don't really get to fish alot but the other day I caught a 2.3lb-2.5lb crappie. Is that size worth mounting? Feel like I might not catch one that size again?
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Re: Crappie Mount?

Postby ScottyLee » Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

trophy is in the eye of the beholder. that's a good fish no doubt! i've always said 3 pounds on crappie is my "trophy"
depends on where you fish too.. mounts are as much about the story or the memory of the day as much as they are about the fish itself.

all that said i do have a 2.5 pound one on the wall with his buddy that weighed 3.13 that i could back to back in the same day :D

congrats again on the slab crappie!!!
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:49 pm

If you fish alot, yes, you can catch more of that size. 3lbs is the general mark for folks to get one mounted, but there's been plenty <3lbs put on the wall. Some people catch multiple 3s a year and some folks fish all their life and catch 1.

I've always said I'd get a 3lber mounted, finally caught one March 2012 and its still in the wrapped in the freezer, probably ruined. Just never found somebody to do it. Got a good pic with it and won't ever forget the story of that day, and I guess that's all I need.
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Have a buddy that has a 4 pound 4 ouncer on his wall that his dad caught several years ago. Puts my 3.2 to shame. What a behemoth.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Tue May 28, 2013 1:31 pm

My grandad taught me how to crappie fish. I remember as a teenager him catching one over 4lbs in Yalobusha river.
I couldn't fish anymore from opening the cooler and looking at the biggest crappie I'd ever seen. He mounted it...in the skillet.
No telling how many that size he has caught in his lifetime though. To each their own. I wouldn't waste the money mounting
a 2.5lb crappie unless I lived up north of the mason dixon. If you live in Ms and crappie fish much, you will catch more that size and bigger
eventually. Keep fishing and save your money. JMHO.
How do you like your Hope and Change?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”