Adding a fighting butt to fly rod

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Adding a fighting butt to fly rod

Postby duramax » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 am

On a whim, I decided to add a fighting cork butt to an extra 6wt fly rod I have. Cork butt was only $5 shipped. This isn't a terribly expensive fly rod (a St. Croix), so I figured what the heck. I got the rod almost against my will because I was wanted to just buy an Orvis 3wt rod and reel off this guy but he insisted he only wanted to sell his entire fly fishing gear selection (2 fly rods and reel and a bunch of fly tying stuff). It was a steal for the lot for only $350 so I figured why not.

Anyways, I simply cut a 6" section off an extra carbon arrow I had laying around, drilled a hole the same diameter as the arrow into the butt of my rod and glued it with a heavy duty polyurathane adhesive I had. The arrow coincidentally fit perfectly inside the rod blank, so I didn't have to drill into the rod blank. The arrow was also about the same size as the hole in the cork section. I let it sit over night and presto. Looks great. Not sure exactly what I'll use it for. Perhaps as my bass fly rod that I'll leave at our hunting camp since it's been sitting in a rod tube for 3 years now having never been used yet.

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”