Crp/Wrp question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jmh600
Veteran

Crp/Wrp question

Postby jmh600 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Just out of curiosity and an effort to get some conversation going what will happen to most of crp/Wrp once the contract is up? Will most people turn the ground back into ag production? Also what are the methods of turning it into ag production? Do you spray, burn, mulch, bulldoze, or a combination of all?
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Crp/Wrp question

Postby stang67 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:10 am

WRP is mostly perpetual in these parts. A lot of CRP in the Midwest has gone back to ag. Seems like in MS some folks are re-enrolling, but there is less money now. I'm certainly no authority, but I'd guess that most CRP in MS is in pine plantation. I doubt much of that will ever be ag again. Anyway, maybe this will help illicit some conversation.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:06 pm

There is slot of hardwoods in CRP in the delta. Most have been reenrolling it, but who knows what the future holds. As far as clearing it..I'd say dozer is most efficient, the trees aren't very big (most of the time) so no real need to dig stumps. Just doze it down, pile and burn then grade back to ag field
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 pm

How long are the contracts 15-20 years?
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:04 pm

15. I know some that has been in CRP since 1990. They keep enrolling it every time it expires. I've never seen any put back into cultivation around here. Most of it is on marginal farming ground and I think the cost to get it back into production would take a long time to pay off. Beans can't stay this high forever.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:10 pm

I have seen several tracts go back into ag production after a 15 yr contract. Dozer, pile, burn. We ran a root rake and multiple discings then root rakes. We then surveyed best we could and landleveled them.
Soybeans in 60's 70's caused a lot of this marginal land to get cleared. Grain prices once again are causing some of the crp tracts to go back into production.
Once a CRP contract expires........usually in the fall of the yr, you have 1 year to clear and put back into production.........usually with a wheat crop.
If you dont put back into production, then the tract loses its cropland status and reverts back to a wooded wetland (speaking of delta land-not upland pine ground).
You will have to get permits or approval (swampbuster /404) to clear after that.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot

Return to “General Discussion Forum”