Cogan grass

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
sadie1
Veteran

Cogan grass

Postby sadie1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 pm

I have some property that is covered with cogan grass inside of 15 yr old crp hardwoods. What should we do about it? It doesnt currently inhibit any areas we use for plots or duck areas, but I just dont want to not do anything if we need to be doing something about it. There is about 150 acres of the crp and it is in most of it.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Re: Cogan grass

Postby DanP » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:47 am

That's not good… Stuff is bad news. My thesis research was on the control and spread of cogongrass. We simulated logging disturbance and found that it is easily spread simply by driving a tractor through a cogongrass patch. 1/10 of a gram of root is all that is required to start a new plant.

The canopy from the trees will keep it shaded and suppressed, but its just hanging out building one heck of a root system right now. When you thin those trees and open the canopy it will explode and its game over as far as habitat quality is concerned. A tank mix of imazapyr (Arsenal) and glyphosate is the most effective, but you can't use imazapyr under hardwoods. Glyphosate can get it but its going to take several years. If it were mine I would break it down into 25 acre treatment blocks so its not so overwhelming. Start spraying early in the year with the first flush of new growth. You have to deplete the root system before you can get complete control. Whatever you use to spray it with, clean it well and make sure no trace is left. Try to stay out of it when its gone to seed that would greatly increase the chance of spread. MS Bureau of Plant Industry has a program where they provide free herbicide to landowners for cogongrass control. In the past its mostly been imazapyr and I'm not sure if they will provide glyphosate or not.

https://www.mdac.ms.gov/bureaus-departm ... ogongrass/
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 am

Dan nailed it. That stuff is bad news and really takes time to completely knock it out.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:48 am

What county is this in?
sadie1
Veteran

Postby sadie1 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Humphreys county, but on yazoo county line
Plainsman04
Veteran

Re: Cogon grass

Postby Plainsman04 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:02 pm

Wow. 150 acres is a big patch. I've sprayed 50-60 spots of it each year for the past several years and the herbicide concoction mentioned above is what I've used or had our contractors use. I've found spraying late summer/early fall works best, but again that's with imazapyr in the mix. With just glyphosate I'd agree to hit it early and often. Small patches I've sprayed with an ATV. Large patches I've used a contract hand spray crew.

Just don't let a fire get in it or there won't be any hardwoods left to save. Stuff burns at like 1000+ degrees if I remember correctly. Makes for a fun fire when it's contained though! :mrgreen:
One Shot Payne
Veteran

Postby One Shot Payne » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Here is a video from a controlled burning series I shot for GameKeepers with Toxey Haas discussing Cogon Grass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5V3Xo51Jjs&index=2&list=PLAn10MBzyX9SU4Hqusj7RJUNCgXN8C1j6

If you want to watch the whole series here is a link to the Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRyWvGPNuNpz2MfzrnNpw3Jdd46jqBNia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”