Baccharis control

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Baccharis control

Postby tupe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 am

I am helping a friend on some land he purchased a few years ago. It is WRP and the previous landowners did little to nothing to mange the habitat.

Baccharis has made a strong surge over that time and is out competing more wildlife beneficial vegetation.

in some areas is has all but taken over with stands as high as 7-8' and so dense you can not walk through it.

Has anyone had any experience combating it?

There are areas I do not mind it but I would like to get control of some large areas it has taken over.

The total acreage is 1800 so its a big battle. Didn't know if the NRCS allows large scale vegetation control when such plants are degrading the habitat and reforestation.

Thanks
DanP
Duck South Addict

Re: Baccharis control

Postby DanP » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:22 am

NRCS has supported baccharis control on WRP in the past. Its tough to manage with herbicide if hardwoods are established beneath. Mulching is an option followed by banded herbicide application. County NRCS office is always a good place to start.
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Re: Baccharis control

Postby tupe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks. I was hoping they would support mulching since it is such a large area. I'll get in touch with the local NRCS folks.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”