It's been a clover summer.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

It's been a clover summer.

Postby Wingman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Patriot white clover planted in fall of 2010. I mow it about three times a summer and spray for grass when necessary. It was burned to a crisp last summer and fall but the rains and cool July weather this year have it looking good. This is the kind of food plot you can get 5 or more years of use from one planting. 25-30% protein.

ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Re: It's been a clover summer.

Postby Tedl10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:50 pm

I agree, Rob. We have 30 +/- acres of it. Clipped twice and sprayed once. Spraying Butyrac 200 and PS Clethodim this weekend.

Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
MMallard
Veteran

Postby MMallard » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 pm

I thought I was just "good" at growing clover this year...thanks for bursting that bubble!.

Great looking clover yall have and ours its the best I have ever had. We planted a blend of ladino last year at 5lbs/ac and added Crimson at 5lb/ac along with wheat and rye grass. The ladino has out competed everything this summer and we have over 16 acres we have clipped once and have not had to spray any. My question is what to do this fall. We fertilize with chicken litter each year and incorporate it into the soil through disking. With all the clover we are maintaining, do yall think it would be wise to spread the litter again and just harrow over the fields to break up the litter? I really dont want to even lightly disk the clover we have now to casue any damage. Also i thought about topseeding wheat and rye again this fall to add to the amount of available forage....think its worth it or just let the clover stand for itself?

Matt Mallard
On Point Mapping
onpointmapping@hotmail.com
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 am

I'd take a soil test and see if you even need to fertilize it.

I like to put wheat with mine the first fall to help hold the soil and green it up while the clover is small, but once the clover is established I think it does just fine on its own.

I like elbon rye. Totally different than ryegrass.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
MMallard
Veteran

Postby MMallard » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Good call on the soil test and didnt think about elbon. Is it as cold hardy as rye grass?
Matt Mallard
On Point Mapping
onpointmapping@hotmail.com

Return to “General Discussion Forum”