Spraying milo/WGF Sorghum

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Plainsman04
Veteran

Spraying milo/WGF Sorghum

Postby Plainsman04 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:34 am

Gonna try some milo (WGF Sorghum) this year. Not a big area - about 8 acres. What would you recommend spraying it with and when should I spray it? I haven't planted yet but should get it in the ground today or tomorrow but could be as late as next week. My main concerns are sesbania, sicklepod, and annual marsh elder. I know it's going to get a bunch of nutgrass, panicum, and other various grasses in it but that's fine cause the ducks will use that too. I was thinking 2,4 d and maybe dicamba but I don't have any experience with milo. Thanks for the help!
Goose
Veteran

Re: Spraying milo/WGF Sorghum

Postby Goose » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 am

Plainsman04, I burned mine down at planting with Gramoxone, and then once it had a good stand established, knifed in 100 units on N, and then sprayed Atrazine & Dual. I believe Atrazine must be applied before the plant reaches 12" tall.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:20 pm

Don't spray Dual pre on WGF sorghum unless it has been treated with Concep. Most ag milo has been treated, but I haven't seen any WGF sorghum that has been treated. If memory serves me correctly, you can spray anything else used in milo on it. I used 2,4-D before it got 12" or 18" tall.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks guys. The seed has not been treated so I won't be using Dual. Sounds like I need to go with 2,4 d. The ground has been tilled so I've already got a nice, clean seed bed. I just know how this ground responds to disturbance this time of year and I'll have one huge field of sesbania and sicklepod if I don't hit it with something.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”