planting cowpeas between corn rows

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

planting cowpeas between corn rows

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 am

I have my corn spaced 36" apart. its up about 4"

I will spray it when it about 10"-12" tall (its round up ready corn)

I thought of after spraying with round up to go back and plant some clay peas in between the rows with my planter. anybody have any experience with this? pros or cons ?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Re: planting cowpeas between corn rows

Postby Northbigmuddy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 am

Would you be running over your corn? Could also complicate spraying down the road. If your corn grows well it may shade the peas a good bit. I like the idea though. May work out better to plant them the same day in the future.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu May 01, 2014 10:31 am

I don't think planting them the same day will work.

The peas will out grow the corn.

I have round up ready corn.

plan to spray it when its around 12" tall and hit it with some Ammonia.

then come back and plant the peas between the rows.

the timing should allow the corn to get full height long before the peas reach the climbing stage.

i'm going to do a few rows this year and see how it goes.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu May 01, 2014 12:22 pm

You think the peas will outgrow the corn? They won't outgrow sunflowers. I planted peas, beans, and sunflowers at the same time in the same planter last year.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Thu May 01, 2014 3:08 pm

I may be a little slow here. I still can't figure out the in between the rows and not running over the corn. Are you gonna move the planter units on the toolbar or do you have a middle planter? I'm with wingman on the growth rates. Take pictures I'd like to see the results.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 am

We used to plant cowpeas in the middles of sweet corn. We would plant about 2-3 acres of sweet corn every year. On 1/2 the area we would plant corn and then come back and plant the middles with cowpeas same day. On the other 1/2 we would plant the middles right after we pulled the sweet corn, some time around July 1. Having the two on the same field does limit your weed control options. Corn planted with cowpeas tends to lag behind because both are competing for same nutrients, water, and sunlight early on. The corn will eventually grow on off and the peas (legume) will have that corn very green even at/after maturity. The corn planted without peas will grow off quicker and mature 10-14 days earlier. Do not remember how the corn yielded other than we pulled corn out of both plots. This was in late 70s and 80s. Eventually we got away from it and planted sweet corn alone with a full mix of preemerge herbicides. With very early planted sweet corn, you could plant, apply preemerge, and all the fertilize all in the same day....walk away from it and not worry with it till pulling corn time came. Preemerge would hold weeds until canopy closure. Was a very easy garden crop. I also remember snakes and picking peas in standing corn...just not alot of room to negotiate in there. From a wildlife standpoint it is probably a great combination...cowpeas/corn. From a gardening standpoint I just as soon keep everything seperated.
Are we gonna get wet?
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri May 30, 2014 2:12 pm

the peas are going in this week.

Pics to follow on planting day
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:42 am

I just broadcast a week after spraying round up. corn was about 15"-20" tall when I broadcast, the dying grass gave the seed enough cover to germinate and then covered the
seed as it died.

There is an acre of Ladino Clover at the back of the plot - and there is total of 2.5 acres of corn - which is drying up now.

only a small section of it has peas in the rows - maybe 1/4 - 1/2 acres. t

he rest is now growing up in grass and morning glory - which is what I prefer - I want it as thick as I can get it with plenty of corn for the deer to eat. I think the thick cover makes them more comfortable and makes it a little harder for them to find the corn.

SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 am

Nice work
Are we gonna get wet?
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Lets see an update, Jim
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:57 am

peas are about gone - deer eating them up.

I'll get pics if it dries out some.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”