Chicken litter

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Chicken litter

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:07 am

what are you guys thoughts on chicken fertilizer?

there are two main types that I am familiar with.

chicken litter - which is chips from the house that are somewhat decomposed and full of chicken crap.

Then there is compost - is where they throw the dead chickens and they decompose.

any thoughts on using it on wildlife food plots?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Re: Chicken litter

Postby Northbigmuddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 am

Assuming you don't have substantial acreage in your plots I'd say it would end up being a hassle. If you've got some big acreage and the cost savings is there then it may be a different story. You will get some benefits from other nutrients in the litter aside from N, but I still think it would be a push at best.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 pm

From the reading I've done it can be one of the quickest ways to build soil organic matter -- which happens to be what most of us struggle with who plant on logging decks, IMO. Also broiler litter can be safer for the turkeys, although regular chicken litter should be OK these days. Peck around on the QDMA forums -- that's where this info comes from.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Folks around here put out litter after land forming a field. I've been told it will almost instantly build the soil up after cutting layers of topsoil off after moving the dirt.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 pm

put 12 tons on 2.5 acres yesterday. disked it in and planted corn on it right before the rain.

we will see how it does.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
duckbuster330
Veteran

Postby duckbuster330 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:44 pm

keep a close watch out for weeds. there is some seed in the feed they use similar to johnson grass and it spreads like crazy. We use it when we plant corn. and spread it thick. But there is no going back and fertilizing when cultivating.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
- Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion Forum”