Clover

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Clover

Postby Chuckle12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 am

We planted several new Durana clover plots this past fall. When is the best time to spray for grasses? I know you are supposed to spray before the grass puts out it's "flag" leaf for seed production. Any idea of the best time to start? Was planning on going with Rifle. Any other suggestions?
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: Clover

Postby Wingman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Go over to the bull nettle habitat forum and read the clover sticky. GIbowhunter knows his stuff.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Holy crap. How about some punctuation from that guy. Maybe a paragraph break or 2. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Μολὼν λαβέ
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Not sure what you have read yet or what you have heard, but do not use Rifle on your clover. Rifle is trade name for a chemical called dicamba. It kills broadleaves, not grass.

Grass in clover is not a problem to control as there are several chemicals that will do the job. Often times it is recommended to spray white clover for grasses in early spring as there is competition mounting from cool season grasses, maybe ryegrass or even wheat or oats if the clover was planted with a mix. Chemicals such as clethodim (Select) or sethoxydim (Poast Plus) will work fine. There are generic brands of these chemicals which can often save you some money. Be sure to pay attention to what the label calls for as far as adding an adjuvant. These adjuvants enhance the performance of these chemicals. When spraying in the early spring, look for a sunny warm window to make the application. If perennial ryegrass is one of the targeted weeds, I would add a AMS liquid fertilizer to the mix as well. Grass killers such as these two chemicals work slowly, often turniing the grass red or purple in color and then eventually taking it out. Not a hard-fast kill like a non-selective herbicide, but dead none the less.

As warm season grasses start to germinate and emerge through the clover, you may want to make a second application. This may be in May or June. You want the grass to come up through the clover and offer enough plant material to get good coverage of the herbicide. Annual grasses like signalgrass or crabgrass will be easily controlled. If Bermuda or bluestem is the targeted warm season grasses you want to control, then multiple applications may neccessary. Often times with perennial warm season grass weeds, they are better controlled with a late summer/early fall application.

Always read the label and ask your local county extension agent about your options. They are more than happy to give you good/sound info.
Are we gonna get wet?
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 pm

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6HP006.pdf

This is volunteer or generic select. It's labeled for grass control in broadleafs including clover. I use the CDMS website regularly to look up labels. Most everything out there is on the site. Good reference once you tear the label off then lose it. The label includes more info than you want to know. It usual includes some info on when to spray when not to spray. If you read between the lines it's usually common sense jumbled up to sound fancy.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks guy. I meant Select, not Rifle. I use Rifle in the duck holes.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Lol. You'll have to use disk after you use rifle on that clover.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”