Ask DS? Tree spraying

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
craziehunter18
Veteran

Ask DS? Tree spraying

Postby craziehunter18 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:30 pm

We planted oak trees five years ago. I bush hog in between then in the fall. What can I spray on the area early in the summer to stun the grass were it won't grow as tall or thick? It is in a flood area so I don't think I need to kill the grass completely.
Evin

[size=150]TEAM ADVOCARE[/size]

Always be joyful. Never stop praying. -1Thessalonians 5:16-17
pondman
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS? Tree spraying

Postby pondman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:40 pm

We spray early with a light dose of glyphosate and it knocks weeds back pretty good. Weeds usually come back by early fall but we don't have to worry about cutting and trimming during the height of the growing season.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
craziehunter18
Veteran

Postby craziehunter18 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks Pond. I knew someone on here did this kind of stuff. Can I get that at a CO-OP and what might it cost?
Evin

[size=150]TEAM ADVOCARE[/size]

Always be joyful. Never stop praying. -1Thessalonians 5:16-17
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:13 am

You should be able to get it at the Co-op. Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Round-up. There are a ton of generics out there. Its been awhile since I bought any, but you should be able to find it for $25.00/gallon.

Mix to slightly less than label directions and get after it.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Curtdawg88
Veteran

Postby Curtdawg88 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 am

I would not spray glyphosate directly on my trees. Glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide meaning it kills everything. If you want to use glyphosate I would suggest a directed spray meaning only getting the chemical on the grass and not on the trees. Be careful to prevent wind drift and overspray onto your trees or they will die.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”