Switchgrass

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Switchgrass

Postby Wingman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:34 pm

I planted Alamo switchgrass last spring at 3# per acre using a no-till drill.

I mowed then burned my target areas to get a clean surface. My then two-year old switchgrass had already began to green up, and the fire didn't bother it any. From what I've researched, fire at this stage actually stimulates growth. This photo was from February 16.

Planted on March 15th.

It was a painfully slow process trying to find the first sprouts. But it turned off very cold after planting and neighboring farmers had corn in the ground for 3 weeks before emerging. This is a row of sprouts I found on April 18th.

I was checking weekly and waiting for the majority of the seedlings to get to the 3rd-true leaf stage in order to make my first herbicide application. At this stage, the plant is just barely over an inch tall. This photo was from April 29. I waited another week before spraying.

This photo was from May 7. Here you can see that the ragweed, clover, and other broadleaves were completely covering the ground. There is a 10' strip of switchgrass right where I sprayed. The Accent herbicide works on several grasses and broadleaf weeds.

Johnsongrass (red-colored grass in picture) and other weeds were killed or stunted by the application of Accent herbicide. Marestail (top right) and other broadleaves can be controlled later. My finger is touching a switchgrass seedling. This photo was from May 14, one week after spraying.

At the 5th-true leaf stage, a broadleaf herbicide application can be made. All literature I've read recommends waiting until this stage before applying hormone herbicides like 2,4-D or dicamba. This photo is from May 12, but the majority of my seedlings weren't this tall until a few weeks later.

I applied a herbicide containing 2,4-D, dicamba, and metsulfuron methyl on June 3rd. At this time the majority of my seedlings were 5-6 leaf and 8-10" tall. I got an immediate kill of all broadleaves that were beginning to shade out the switchgrass seedlings, and several weeks of residual control that kept the ground clean for another 5-6 weeks.

This photo is from June 5th, 2 days after spraying Cimarron. You can see the ragweed and other broadleaf weeds curling up, but it's very hard to find the switchgrass at this point when you stand back and look at it.

I flagged every seedling I could find in a 10' wide strip (I still missed some). This is the same location as the picture with the drill at the top of the thread.

Here is the same spot on February 27 after one growing season.

After that, it was just sit back and watch it grow. By the fall, most of the seedlings were knee to thigh high. The 2011 plants had bushed out and were over head high by September. This photo shows the height and volume of 2-year old plants by mid September 2013. These are planted on the levee slope so they don't look as tall as they actually are. All of them are up to the roof of my truck.

A 2011 stand after three growing seasons. February 27. My sorghum sudangrass and all of the other natural vegetation is pretty much broken down to knee high. The switchgrass is still tall. Excellent hunter cover.

A photo in the early February ice. You just can't knock this stuff down.

I will go over it all soon with atrazine to help keep it clean while it grows early this spring. After it gets big enough, a fire every 2-3 years will help maintain the stand.
Last edited by Wingman on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Switchgrass

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Wingman, I've seen you giving updates about this for a while now, and I've got to ask. What is good about switchgrass over other grasses that are easier to grow? Duck food? Erosion control?

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:17 pm

I planted it mainly as screen around my holes and along roadsides. Deer will bed in it and travel it.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:01 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm

I supposing that it holds on to some of its leaves when it turns cold like johnsongrass does to a certain degree?
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 pm

I added some pics from today. It is 1000% better than johnsongrass. It won't lay down like johnsongrass will. If I can get some planted in the bottoms of my holes, I'm going to use it for cover. Alamo switchgrass is a lowland type that will grow in wet or dry areas. Not flooded, but wetter areas than other switchgrass varieties.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 pm

March 1, 2014. Planting the ends of some 400 yard long levees using a spreader and cultipacker. I decided to plant 100 yards on the far end of a couple of plots. I disked the first of February and do-alled it a week ago. I spread 3# per acre with my atv spreader and ran the cultipacker over it today. I have a friend that is caretaker of a large club and he has had great success planting switchgrass like this. Might be something the small plot guy can do if you can't burn it off and use a drill.

Planting it primarily to shorten the length of the plots (I'm only good to about 275 with my .30-06 anyway), so I planted the farthest ends next to the road. Figured it would make the deer feel a little more secure as well.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
wildturkey
Regular

Postby wildturkey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey Wingman. I just ordered some Alamo switch grass and Egyptian wheat seed to plant as a screen along some road frontage. Would you recommend spraying anything before planting. Going to plant it the weekend of the 22nd and will hopefully have it disked this weekend.
Going to plant with drill if that makes a difference.
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
Winston Churchill
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Don't plant it too deep. 1/4" is all you want. You might do-all and roll it first if the rain hasn't settled it.

I followed the directions on this site as far as planting and spraying. http://www.ernstseed.com/files/document ... e_warm.pdf

Put your seed in a meat cooler when you get it for as long as you can before planting. It has a high dormancy and needs cold weather to break it. You can trick it by putting it in a cooler for several weeks. Johnny at Primos taught me this.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
wildturkey
Regular

Postby wildturkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for the advice and the link. I will keep you posted on the progess.
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
Winston Churchill
wildturkey
Regular

Postby wildturkey » Fri May 30, 2014 7:35 pm

I need a herbicide recommendation. I planted Alamo switchgrass and Egyptian wheat for plot screens. Sprayed with round up prior to planting. Native grasses and kudzu are starting to shade it out. I want to spray milestone for kudzu but not sure if Egyptian wheat can handle that. What you guys recommend?
Winston Churchill
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:06 pm

if ya'll haven't ever been to wingmans farm, ya'll are missing out. talk about a guy who truly is farming for wildlife. it's an awesome layout with so much attention to detail.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:02 pm

What about sweet sudan as cover for a blind?
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks, Scotty Lee.

I've planted sorghum sudangrass and it all breaks over about knee high before duck season is over.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 pm

― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”