Is moving logs a habitat-appropriate topic?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Is moving logs a habitat-appropriate topic?

Postby Anatidae » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:20 pm

I waited until high water to pull 2 new logs (about 30' long) that blew-down during a storm late in the season - out of the main pathway and tie them off so they don't drift back in there and make it harder for me to get through the cuban bulrush and hyacinth next Fall. :mrgreen: It'll also give the nutrias a place to 'sun'.

Went on another scouting run today and spotted a log jamb that I will attempt to break-up or at least re-arrange the logs where they become part of the 'cover' for our boat in this particular location. I'll have to watch the gauge and see when the water comes-up enough.

Or is this too self-serving to be considered 'habitat enhancement'? ........or do you have to actually 'plant' something to be considered a conservationist? :twisted:

I may try to transplant some cane chutes and re-arrnage some clumps of sawgrass in some strategic locations - also to help hide us better.

Moving the logs WILL congregate the nutrias so it'll be easier to pick them off with a scoped .22.......or .223 :mrgreen:

Another benefit is that those logs won't float out into the main channel and become possible obstructions for other hunters to run over in the dark.

It's kinda slow around here..... :roll:
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Re: Is moving logs a habitat-appropriate topic?

Postby Wingman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Wannabe. :lol:

I have actually considered "transplanting" some cypress logs to my place. Yeah, I get bored often.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 pm

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:12 pm

"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 am

Thanks Barry. That's what I expected. It's on a small island and I'm afraid if I disturb the soil too much it'll just erode in high water (current) - delicate balance. I might better just cut some when I go & stick it around the boat. Usually takes about 25 pieces to be effective. I know I have to notch part of the bank to get the boat where I want it, so I might try something in that area.

It'd probably do more 'good' (and make more sense) to get some sawgrass going in the water around the edge. That'll also counter some of the erosion, but it's a lot more shovel work.
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:52 am

Plant that saw grass in 5-7 gallon plastic pots and punch a few holes in bottom and sides. Then sink that where you want them. You can drive boards down edgewise to box the pots in also if you worried about them getting away from you. We had more success doing it this way especially in high erosion/tidal areas. Good luck and you may need an off season hobby, sounds like you are either bored as he11 or just plain ate up with it.
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 am

'Lil of both.

My off-season hobbies are horn-playing, clays shooting, fishing, and retreiver training/testing. But my shoulder is messed-up right now, so that puts a damper on shooting. I bruised my lips getting ready for a orchestra performance, so I had to 'bail-out' on that gig.

Plus my brother is in CCU in Lake Charles - will probably head down there in the next few, as he regains 'awareness'.

Plenty going-on.....just need a fun or worthwhile diversion, to take me out of reality.

I may do some turkey hunting and go after the crappie when they get 'right'. Until then, I'm going over the boat blinds and making some improvements on them before I change-out to fishing mode. That's the 'eat-up' part.

Thanks for the pointers - I think the sawgrass makes much more sense and would be more successful (although labor-intensive).

I may holler at Cal and just go out to the gunclub and cookout when it gets a little warmer.

I know I've gotta cook a gumbo pretty soon - ate our last bag around the first week in Feb. - withdrawals are setting-in.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 am

'sounds good. Come-on warmer weather!

I should have re-phrased......

I have plenty of stuff to do or 'tend' to, but just kinda blah about doing any of it....even the fun stuff. Warm weather would help.

The friends in Canada are dealing with high temps around -1F (real-feel of -14F) and low's next couple of nights around -21F (real feel of -38F), so I'm careful not to complain, too much.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Forecast for us showing 18 degrees two nights next week.

I enjoyed that false spring last week.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:11 pm

That means more of the same across the border - I feel for them. He was sick of all the snow a month ago.

The bluewings I saw the other day will probably hang around a while, then.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:25 pm

This is what's driving it......(temps in Celsius)......the polar vortex

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Temps showing high 20's now for lows early next week. Definitely no corn in the ground like it was this time last year.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”