tropical corn

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bigdecoy
Regular

tropical corn

Postby bigdecoy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:56 pm

i keeping hearing that its great if you cant plant reg corn on time . any info would be appreciated.
SB
Duck South Addict

Re: tropical corn

Postby SB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53 pm

I don't believe their is a true tropical corn. I heard of it first about 15 years ago. At that time they would sell me a Pioneer variety. Pioneer quit producing that specific variety of corn, which most all seed companies change variety #s about every 4 years for marketing reasons. When that "original" Pioneer tropical could not be had anymore, I started calling seed reps looking for tropical corn varieties. That is when a seed rep told me there was no true tropical corn varieties. Most so called tropical corn varieties were silage varieties. I did my own research and found a Pioneer 33M57 that looked to do what I was needing. I had good luck with it for several years, before Pioneer took it out of their lineup. Since then I've used several good varieties but no Pioneer varieties. Pioneer is a good product but they charge alot for the name, kinda like John Deere tractors.

I would recommend getting a Bt variety to help with insects. I think paying for the Bt trait in late planted corn is worth the money.
Scott Baker
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Check out canamaize.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 pm

I've had bad luck with Canamaize. Planted about 10 acres in the bottom of an abandoned catfish pond. Turned maroon in color and never made seed.
Scott Baker
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:56 pm

USA Back to Back World War Champs
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 am

I scratched my head for a while wondering what would make it turn the color that it did. Thought it might be a soil issue but I did not experience problems anywhere else. Had to be an issue of soil and/or plant type or a combination there of. No expense was sparred in planting, herbicide and fertilizing it. The company that introduced me to Canamaize planted some on their farm in NE Arkansas the same summer I grew some. They said it made a "small ear". I don't know how small of ear or what they were comparing it to, but at least they made an ear.

I've had good luck with Pioneer 33M57 corn seed. I've made a heck of crop of it in a duck hole before. After the ducks did not get into it until after duck season I regretted not putting a combine in it. I can only make a crop when I'm not trying to. :D That variety is no longer available.
Scott Baker
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Maybe get your hands on some of the new drought tolerant corn. Like left over piece of bags when your done planting. I dunno if its even commercially available yet. If expense was no issue that may have some potential. The pictures of that corn side by side in the Midwest during the drought were pretty impressive.
USA Back to Back World War Champs

Return to “General Discussion Forum”