Lime question...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Lime question...

Postby pondman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:42 am

Men,

I am in a little bit of a bind. It looks like I am going to need to put down some lime, but I don't have time for regular aglime to start reacting and change my pH. I plan on putting that down next year.

In lieu of aglime, I am going to use either pelletized or hydrated lime. I know I will only get one season out of either one. Any experiences good or bad? I don't have a huge area, may 5 acres broken up over 3 or 4 areas.

Thanks,

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Re: Lime question...

Postby SWAG » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:45 am

I have used the pelletized lime on small plots for quick response. I was pleased with the application but bot the price :D . Used on some clover establishment plots and once on a RR alfalfa plot. Do not remember the rates off hand but we did sample in early winter after fall application and planting and saw a good response to the application. For some people, the pelletized lime may be best option because of ease of spreading application and plots just too small to get larger equipment in.
Are we gonna get wet?
Warren
Duck South Addict

Postby Warren » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 pm

What kind of prices are you finding on the pelletized lime?
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 pm

It was in 2005 and 2007 when I used the pelletized lime, so I do not remember cost, but it would have been very expensive had it been on a larger scale. We were doing some 30 X 30 plots. Only advantage it has over regular ag lime is the application of it. Fairly certain it would take just as many pounds/acre of pelletized lime as it would regular ag lime to get same pH response. I do not know if one will work quicker than the other, but we saw a pH response by early winter on these plots.
Are we gonna get wet?
dandy_don
Regular

Postby dandy_don » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57 am

Last edited by dandy_don on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:15 am

Madison county co-op is $159 a ton (bulk). They are recommending 800 lbs to the acre. Sending soil samples off this week, hopefully we can get a better idea.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
dukmisr2005
Duck South Addict

Postby dukmisr2005 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:13 am

I put both down some I get the effect of quick from pelletized and long term correction of AG lime. It will save more in the long run.
~ Ric M.
Dulaney Seed Inc./AgVenture
877-974-7333

-- Its not the man but the message that keeps on going!! --
-- There is everywhere, but not everywhere is there...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”