Trophy radishes

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Trophy radishes

Postby pondman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:51 am

Anybody know anything about these? I thought there had been a couple of threads but I searched and could not find them. I am looking a planting a few this winter.

Anybody know of a dealer?

Thanks,

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
matador1
Duck South Addict

Re: Trophy radishes

Postby matador1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:08 am

Got real interested in them last year. Discussed them on several forums. Supposedly they are supposed to provide a lot of forage per space. I didn't have alot of luck with them but I was planting them in some very poor soil. And I think the deer were hammering them pretty good as soon as they sprouted. I didn;t use exclusion cages so I couldn;t measure growth well.
I did find out through research that the variety that Trophy radishes uses isn't much different than normal dicom (msp) radish.
My intent was to use them for forage and let the root work as a soil loosener. Tehre have been some farmers using them during winter to break up compacted soil as the root is supposed to be super invaisve nad grow to 18 inches. Then once the plant dies in spring you have aerated decompacted soil. Coupe of farmers in Yazoo had use the method a couple of years and had success.

I plan on trying them again this year and seeing if more fertilizer helps any. Exclusion cages will be key to measuring growth.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 am

I was told they work as well as a subsoiler for breaking the hard pan.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Adam,

Good stuff. I am planning on adding them to an oat and wheat mix to see how they do. I am interesting in seeing how they do for food as much as breaking up the hardpan.

Adam or Rob,

Do either one of you have any idea where to get the seed? Cost?

Thanks,

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:52 pm

I bought the Trophy brand and the regaular bulk at Madison Co Op. The bulk is really cheap if you can get it to produce the forage others have. Go to Management Advantage and look back at last years videos. There is one all about them. They were to dressing them on top of cut corn.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
billjohnson
Veteran

Postby billjohnson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 am

I planted Sun Hemp in a plot that I was trying to get established over here in N. AL. Wildlife Managment Solutions guys out of Eutaw, AL talke me into it and told me that if I planted this stuff it would eliminate the need for the N and P that my soil test called for. Just limed and planted it in early July and it is 3 ft tall and thick as hell. Gonna mow it Sunday and disk it in next weekend. Will disk it again toward the end of Sep and plant a mix of wheat, oats, forage triticale, peas and two clovers. They also told me that it would be like sub-soiling it as this stuff will probably punch to bedrock up here on this mountain I live on. I'm very happy so far. We'll see how it turns out! Sure is fun experimenting with these little half acre plots to me.
Attachments
HEMPLOT.jpg
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:40 am

DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 am

[quote="matador1"] Coupe of farmers in Yazoo had use the method a couple of years and had success. [quote]

Doubled soil organic matter in two years, around 4% right now. Dry land corn planted after radishes has shown comparable yield to pivot irrigated corn under reduced tillage with no cover crop. Lot of potential in my opinion....
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:41 am

That is a lot of biomass. I had no idea they grew so tall. I was thinking about collards or mustard green height.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:03 pm

matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Found a great article today and some info from one of the original providers of seed. Im thinking of trying the Indy blend in a couple of spots

http://themanagementadvantage.com/home/deer-radishes-its-all-in-their-genetics/

http://www.covercropsolutions.com/documents/literature/tillagemax-mixes.pdf
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:44 am

Groundhog Radish is an excellent subsoiler and will also bring nutrients up near the surface. Great to till in for soil management too.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 am

FYI- After doing some checking, you are not suppose to plant Sunn Hemp in MS. It is on the Noxious Weed/Seed list.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Discussion Forum”