sunflower field question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Take 'em
Veteran

sunflower field question

Postby Take 'em » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:31 pm

What are my options? Planted a sunflower field later than we expected this spring due to field being too wet and other problems. Sunflowers are headed out and doing fine but field was not worked/sprayed correctly and grass is going to be a major problem. Field was planted by broadcasting, not row planted. Only options I would think I would have after spraying Gramoxone and bush hogging is a.)control burn the field or b.)disc it to get rid of the dead grass and stalks but then would lose majority of the seed I would guess. Any other ideas to get rid of all the grass that is going to be dead to provide some somewhat clean dirt/ground?
"When the season is over and you have $11.97 in your bank account you know you did 'er as hard as you could." -Kelley Powers
"Here comes 5 singles flying together!" -Dustin Anderson
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Re: sunflower field question

Postby Northbigmuddy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Gramoxone won't kill it especially if its thick. Gonna need some clethodim product or roundup to really get it. The Gramoxone will make it all kinds of angry but ill be back. I'd just mow it real close to the ground and go about your hunt. Get some wheat and chum em up.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:00 pm

I will advise to read the MSU Extension Service guidelines about wheat application as it pertains to soil prep, application rates and dates.

As far as the grass, I echo NBM about mowing low and slow. Chop it up really good.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
dukmisr2005
Duck South Addict

Postby dukmisr2005 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Just wait til closer to season and dry it up with some sodium chlorate. Then mow it low and slow like they said just leave a few strips to hide in and for later mowing.
~ Ric M.
Dulaney Seed Inc./AgVenture
877-974-7333

-- Its not the man but the message that keeps on going!! --
-- There is everywhere, but not everywhere is there...
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 am

If it is just grass that is your major problem, why not spray it right now with a grass herbicide???
Are we gonna get wet?
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:24 am

Take 'em
Veteran

Postby Take 'em » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 am

Guess I should have been more specific. It's grass and weed problems. Have sprayed it 2 seperate times with Clethodium and it worked great the first time, not so great last time. Probably due to more weeds than grass now
"When the season is over and you have $11.97 in your bank account you know you did 'er as hard as you could." -Kelley Powers
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Some of those weeds could be excellent dove food, especially goatweed or pigweed.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:53 pm

I vote fire, but I am a little bit of a pyro. Sodium Chlorate + match = scorched earth. Like throwing out birdseed in a parking lot. Pray for some wind between the burn and the hunt or you'll leaves the field looking like buckwheat.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Take 'em
Veteran

Postby Take 'em » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 am

It will crisp everything up pretty quick. Hot dry conditions are ideal. As long as you get a few hours after application the rain should not cause to much trouble as long as the weather doesn't turn off cool and wet for several days after you apply. I would imagine your biggest concern with rain would be after you bush hog. Once the seeds are on the ground a good rain will germinate them and you'll be up the creek. The heads drying out shouldn't be a huge concern. They are either mature or not. If they are mature then the sodium chlorate with crisp em up and speed things up a bit, but it can't force maturity. If you go out before they are mature you'll just kill the plant and be stuck with whatever youve got.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:24 pm

deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Take 'em
Veteran

Postby Take 'em » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for the help and info guys

Return to “General Discussion Forum”