Glyphosate

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Glyphosate

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:10 am

Going to start working on my bullgrass problem in my pasture. County agent suggested I plow the field and start over, but I have no area to move the cattle to until the pasture bounces back. I plan to spot spray the clumps as I had great success on my 1/3 acre test area and keep the pasture cut high to prevent seed heads from coming out. With all the different names of glyphosate, what would be the least expensive to look for? Bought me some blue colorant tabs to mix in the tank so I can keep track of whats been sprayed already.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Re: Glyphosate

Postby Northbigmuddy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:05 am

Since the patent ran out there are a lot of generic "roundups" out there. I would recommend getting your private applicator license. Very simple in MS, but I dunno about the laws in LA. Once you have that you can deal directly with supplier on the up and up. I would assume your cheaper source would be from an ag supplier. Otherwise go find a farmer you know and get it through them. Whatever you do don't go buy it at lowes or the like. Extremely over priced product.

A lawn guy could tell you more about the dyes. My employee put some in our spot spray rig this year for the horse pasture. I think on brown dormant grass you will see where you've been, but on green grass it was a waste of time IMO. Big mess too. Looked like we had all been through an Iraqi election after we cleaned the rig out.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:24 am

Getting it isn't a big problem, just wondering which "generic" is the best for the price. Guessing prices are around $70 for 2-1/2 gallons, but I haven't priced it in a while.

Already got connections to get my GrazonNext for my hay pasture. :)
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:44 am

Eraser is what I buy at the co-op around here.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:01 am

USA Back to Back World War Champs
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 pm

I don't know the name it's generic of what I use but get it from Jimmy Sanders ag supply.I would assume it's what the farmers use but it aint cutting it for me this yr. can spray and stuff will die off but seem's like in a couple of week's have to respray.Don't know if it's the chemical or more stuff getting resestant.If the farmers have to respray like I do they'll go broke buying round-up.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:59 pm

$17/ gallon for credit xtra from Sanders when you buy in 2.5's. Some generic glyphosate is 4# material and some is 6# I think. You would need to put out more of the 4 than the 6.

Digger, glyphosate has no residual effect. You can spray it today and a weed can sprout tomorrow and pop up out of the dirt unaffected. You must get it on the leaves and the plant needs to be actively growing. Stress from drought or mechanical injury can reduce its effectiveness.

I sprayed my beans a month ago and now it's time to do it again. Getting a green carpet across the field again.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Yea I knew no residual effect and I mix plenty hot don't measure just glug it in useing a 8gal. back pack sprayer and probley useing twice what's called for .I'v got some places I'v sprayed clover and just can't seem to kill it sprayed it several times.I'v sprayed around my pool fence and it will look dead but a few week's later grass coming back and don't think grass is seeding.Was just thinking more stuff might be getting some resitance like pig weed has.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Could be. I've never seen it hurt clover too much. I've got resistant ryegrass all in my shop yard. I have to spray Select on it.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 am

I wanna say the generic we get from the co-op is called Cornerstone? I could be mistaken. Alot of jugs in the back if the truck.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 am

Plan to go Monday to see what the local feed store has. I think I've seen kill-zall at the local place.

On the clover, have you tried spraying Atrazine?

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:36 pm

I thought Roundup would kill the crap out of clover.Where most of my trouble is a rock parking lot at work.
lilham
Veteran

Postby lilham » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 am

If you want to spray something like a parking lot or anywhere that you don't want anything to grow....look or ask for a ground sterilizer.

I use Pramitol 25E. It works great.
"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson
munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 am

Sorry just now seeing this. To clarify I have been in several of the major glyphosate factories, and there is no difference between their name brand and generic EXCEPT for the label and the %. Round up and other name brands are what they call 5 or 6lb material and your generics are 4lb. I would go with generic. Now as for name brand you are going to get a "warranty" or backing and also "points" to put toward their seed and other products. The generics are not as rainfast as the brand name. But we use generic.

As dies most of your suppliers have diff color dies to offer.

Mudhog have you ever seen or heard of a weed wiper? I have only seen a few and cant find them on the web but it is like a 15wide adjustable hight paint roller that your tank can pump chem into great for smut grass etc.

We sold alot of Cimmaron Max to our range and pasture guys, tho i know it was expensive compared to gly.

As for clover hit that with some 2-4d its a selective herbacide that only kills broad leaves, if you put the right adjuvant into it you can break thru the wax which would be my guess on why the gly isnt working. Plants have a protective wax on the leaves. Helena Chemical Co sales a product when mixed with product or whater will allow you to pentrate thru a sheet of wax paper. They also sell their own strand of 2-4d called Latigo that is very impressive!

Hope this helps
"Man you don't see them ducks, hand me that gun"- T.K. and Mike
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 am

Last edited by donia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”