Award fire ant bait

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Award fire ant bait

Postby Wingman » Tue May 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Have y'all ever used this in field situations? I know some guys that put it on their place. Just wondering what's the cost/ acre. My old pond levees need help.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
digger
Duck South Addict

Re: Award fire ant bait

Postby digger » Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Get you some Lorsban(sp) that's what the tater farmers use generitc name is Govern.
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

We looked into a treatment after a wet fall and combine heads full of wet anthills. We were told it was cost prohibitive from an ag production standpoint. They said there is a product that works maybe its the lorsban already mentioned I dunno. Maybe some turf guys have a better answer.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
digger
Duck South Addict

Postby digger » Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Duck$$$ can tell you he's a tater farmer.They put it out before they plant and keep's the ant's out till after harvest.I know it come's in liquid may be a granuel also but not sure.I use it in my yard spot spraying mound's,sprayed down my driveway the other day at lunch (bunch of hill's) came home that afternoon hill's were dead or non active.Think I gave around $90 for 2 and a half gallons.
CW
Veteran

Postby CW » Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Wait a little and the crazy ants will take care of them...of course then you will have the crazy ants to deal with...
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Lorsban (Govern, Whirlwind, etc.) comes in liquid or granule, rate is 1/2 gallon per acre, but not labeled for turf or lawn applications. But will it kill fire ants in a field situation when targeting other pests. Also if your spot treating ant hills in a yard Talstar at 1 oz mixed with a 1/2 gallon of water really works great on ant hills, it wont move them, it will kill them. It is labelled for household or lawn applications for those of you who dont have a RUP number.
work hard, play hard
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks. I'm just after the fire ants. I know Lorsban will kill, but I don't want to kill beneficials if I can help it.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Fri May 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Wingman, Talstar is just Brigade (bifenthrin) watered down for household use.
work hard, play hard
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Fri May 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 pm

I want to put it out on all of my levees. They aren't bad in the pond bottoms because they stay pretty wet. The levees are the bad spots. I am more interested in a bait type that I can sling out and the fireants will get it when they are foraging.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Fri May 24, 2013 9:04 pm

hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Northbigmuddy, I would take just a little brigade (less than an ounce) and mix it with a half to a gallon of water and soak the bed with it. Doesnt seem to be as effective spraying it broadcast. Also Wingman, they make a granular form of Talstar if you prefer the bait type stuff. Either way your gonna wind up treating individual beds. I would think if you already have a wand sprayer hookup on your 4 wheeler, you could mix a good solution and just saturate the beds. Either way its gonna be a long row to hoe fightin those things in a field situation.

I mixed one ounce of the talstar w/ a half gallon of water and put it on a bed on Wed. Went out and kicked it on the way to the mailbox this afternoon, its just a pile of dirt now. :D
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”