Pre emerge question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DeerDawg
Regular

Pre emerge question

Postby DeerDawg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Can dual/spartan or cotoran/prowl be sprayed with the water volume that a 4 wheeler sprayer puts out? I was told I would need more water volume than it could handle for the pre emerge to be beneficial.
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Re: Pre emerge question

Postby Northbigmuddy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 am

Just have to adjust your speed to get the volume you need. I would say your mix would be good at 10-15GPA. The sprayer should do that, unless there are some other issues. Might end up going slow or filling up a lot depends on your pump and tank.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm

I sprayed my pre emerge for 12 years with my ATV. 5 gallons per acre. You should read the label first though. Some requires more water.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
DeerDawg
Regular

Postby DeerDawg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 am

With sunflowers you are spraying right behind planting right? Only other question I have is will this help with sicklepod, tievines(sp?), and briars? Those were my main problems last year especially the tievines. Spartan and dual is what I plan to use
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 am

Read the labels. It will tell you. What is a tievine? Is it trumpet creeper or redvine maybe? Pre emerge doesn't work very well on deep rooted vines and perennials. You need to hit them in the fall with Banvel or a big dose of Roundup or something. Pre emerge is for killing seeds that germinate. I spray mine within 3-4 days after planting. Try to catch a good rain right after spraying it but spray before the sunflowers come up. Rain is what makes it activate.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
DeerDawg
Regular

Postby DeerDawg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks for the help. Not sure of another name for tievines that's just all I have ever heard them called by the farmers around here. I do know they will bring down some sunflowers though
bucksnducks

Postby bucksnducks » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 am

DeerDawg
Regular

Postby DeerDawg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 am

Yep that's it
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Yes, it will help with mg. The label will tell you much.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:21 am

Something you can try - fall burndown. Hit your spot with some non-selective herbicide (roundup/Gramoxone/ignite) + 2oz valor and possibly a dicamba product or 2,4 D if you want to go all out. Do it a few weeks before a freeze around middle Nov round about maybe earlier.

Theory is that hard to kill weeds take up the chemical as they go dormant making them much more suceptible. The valor will lay there all winter and hold back a lot of weeds until march/April depending on how fast the spring warms up.
DeerDawg
Regular

Postby DeerDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Is there something other than spartan that y'all have mixed with dual? Checked prices today and Spartan is up there
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:14 am

Prowl H20 could be an option, dunno about price though. It's a "yellow" herbicide so prepare to make a mess.
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 am

Prowl and Dual are both grass preemerge chemicals...so you would use one or the other. Spartan is about the only thing labeled out there for sunflowers in our area. It is a good product. Pay attention to the label when deciding on which rate to use. Spartan will show some injury to sunflowers on sandy soils when cool wet weather persist it seems. I have seen Spartan do very well in controlling morningglories and have seen where the weed has broken through on occasion. With preemerge chemicals, it as all about the rainfall activating it in conjunction with weed seed germinating. Our soil temps are fairly cool right now. We are getting rain to activate the preemerge, but we do not have soil temps that have some weed seeds germinating. Grasses tend to germinate under cooler soil temps where as broadleaf weeds like morningglory tend to germinate when soils are a little warmer. Will Spartan last until then??? Good question. All depends on soil type and if we continue to get showers (not floods) to keep it activated in the region of the soil where germination is going to happen. Long post....but you are better off with preemerge than without it. The level of success though depends on several different variables.
Are we gonna get wet?
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 am

Are we gonna get wet?
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 am

Spend the money and use Spartan/ Dual.