A few thoughts on soil

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Re: A few thoughts on soil

Postby SWAG » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 am

Mainly it is the re-construction of the beds every year so water can run down the furrows. I am sure some perceive less infiltration to be off-set with ability to irrigate, but long run you want infiltration regardless (water savings...$$$ savings).
Are we gonna get wet?
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 am

This pigweed issue is scaring me. I saw it first in Arkansas 7 or so years ago. I'm seeing it in the south Delta now which is too close to home. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I had it in my fields like I see in some other fields. Just read it is recommended to pull it up, knock the dirt off of the roots, and place it where the roots can't touch the soil. Chopping it isn't good enough. Scary stuff.
Scott Baker
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

our farmer took the "plant corn" option on his worst pigweed field (better, if not best, of our holes that is historically beans) last year. i'm assuming it is to over-shade pigweed before it has a chance to really take hold...or is it more to do with how corn leaves the soil (altering it so pigweed isn't getting what it thrives on in cotton/soybean soil)?
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:34 pm

deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:31 pm

atrazine over corn cleans them up pretty good.

Round up doesn't touch em. I swear I've seen them 'root' through their limbs (use to hand chop it, hate the stuff).

The "round up" era is about to be over. there will be many that will have to go to a Pre to control. This will add cost, man power, and a whole lot that round up essentially cut out. From what I've seen, if you spread chicken manure or the like, get ready.

With the way farming has changed, I'd like to know the answer. The climate has seemingly changed in our area, and the farming practices have to adapt. As far as the 'no till', If I was the owner of an operation, and being I see it daily, I'd steer clear of no till. Then again, it'd be something I'd have to research depending on soil characteristics and so on. There's a reason that many prep their fields in the fall/winter, simply put, cost. Opportunity cost being a rather large cost when you look into it the following spring. in the end, it's all about the money. Its amazing that every farmer doesn't put back into their land with potash, lime, and so on. Many don't even take soil samples. Again, cost.

I'll say, after working the upper MS valley, and Ohio River valley areas, it's amazing the 'difference' in how farming is done. No till works great up there, down here, there's got to be a happy median.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:47 pm

Seeing as how I am a 4th generation guy, see it daily, and have my $$$ riding on it, then I can tell you no-till has it's place. Not disputing fall vs spring tillage here....that is a no brainer. Talking about soil health and achieving profit and conservation at the same time. I no-tilled conventional soybeans before RR became the norm. There are some reasons to till and reasons not to till.
Are we gonna get wet?
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:16 pm

I agree with swag. Iv become a believer in no till this summer. It is astonishing how much better the no till holds moisture on dry land fields vs a dry land field that was worked up. Not to mention cost.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:48 am

Wouldn't it be ironic if our land stewards were as much to blame for climate change as the big bad factories/refineries/plants? Not that I necessarily believe in global warming, but the last video I posted does blame creation of deserts over the history of man on agricultural practices. The good news is that, similar to industry, we are smart enough to overcome it. God has given us a great brain and an even better canvas.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”