wanted to buy old Primos Yawk Box

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

wanted to buy old Primos Yawk Box

Postby swamprooter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Wilbur made a "Yawk Box" between 79-84....hand box you strike against a slate piece. Call was made out of cedar....I'll pay more than it's worth...PM if you have one you would sell.. thanks
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
Jake St. John
Veteran

Re: wanted to buy old Primos Yawk Box

Postby Jake St. John » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Swamp, I thought I had one, but mine is the cedar Jake Yelper. -- Sorry

Started on your calls today, got two nice pieces of walnut with the grain running the right way worked to the right specs. Can't wait until they are finished. If they sound like I think they will, you may not get one until - SUMMERTIME.
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 pm

I can wait on a Mastro........bore out your long box last week..probably the only long box in the country that is that character and color! ??? you saw the wood the other day :roll: I'm waiting to go to camp and cut up that persimmon and try a few lids on it and some walnut....your getting #1 of #1!!!!!!! i am going slow and easy till it yelps by itself
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 am

No - You don't understand!! I'm going to field test them East of the Slash ALL SEASON LONG. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 am

I just cut up your persimmon log and Harley's, Yours seems to have more spalting. One piece has spalting down the middle of the paddle with the grain perfect. I'll put it on top of the hot water heater for final drying a little faster. Keep you posted.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:01 pm

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread, but just wanted to say that swamp, I need a long box! you tell me the dimensions of the wood and I will find some stuff that will make your head explode.

Then I can take my Eddleman and my swamprooter call to the woods, and have a true Mississippi turkey hunt.
:D :D
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Lawdawg, you must have finished watching the Dawgs as I did. Had to go out in workshop and work on the 11 that are pressing on me. You have my East of the Slash special cuttin and cackling box but you don't have the gator gobbling stribling. When we have that session at the Mayflower, and I go over the time to jake gobble and full blown gobble, don't be bringing out a scotch gobble tube or Lynch box. Gator and JLT have their gobbling striblings. It would be O.K. if you bring out a homemade tube call that you jake gobble on. On second thought, I may have one of the 7 that I am working on ready by then. I'll bring it to show you what the complete turkey hunter carries to the woods. The price on these boxes went up as of yesterday!!!!
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:17 pm

"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 am

St. Jake please by all means roll a bird with my call! That would be an honor and legacy to pass on. I'm in Disney world with no wood to whitle,scrape,saw,grind,drill or chaulk..i'm going crazy to get back to the shop at home and work on some calls. However theres a Banded Mallard hen in our swimming pool......i'm thinking?!

Dawg..Thought about you last weekend..SHot a bow at The Traditional Bowhunter's Expo in Kalamazoo Mi that was a perfect clone of your Schafer...check out his site ..Talltines archery ........i'll set you aside of my mystery wood i'm fitting St. Jake with. I tweaked my design some which St. Jake is getting. Definitely looking out for my up and coming traditional bowhunter!
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:28 am

Swamp, I had to empty my shoes of sawdust twice yesterday it was so deep. I had the biggest pile of persimmon sawdust from the chainsaw you ever saw. Then I hollowed out 11 boxes, 7 mahogany and 4 walnut (two of yours). Lost the rasp to my drill press in all the shavings. Got to go in there in find the thing this morning to "Get in there amongst them" as John Wayne would say. Tell Mickey we said hi and don't shoot Daffy. Been thinking about that banded mallard. You can bait that thing with a little popcorn, catch it, and remove that band in a hurry.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:23 am

Quit it!!!!!! i'm going to pick up a stick somewhere and whittle on it in the room or something.......St. Jake..i have the crotch of that 36" persimmon at the base that spread outs....it's been laying there since july tornado...could it be spalting or leave it for a while?
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 am

The pieces you gave me have minor spalting. I would let them set a little when the temps start rising and then get it.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”