Turkeys with Archery equipment..

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Turkeys with Archery equipment..

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:20 pm

What are you guys using for an archery set up?

I am planning on using my Diamond Iceman with gold tip arrows, still undecided on the broadheads right now though. Any suggestions for 100gr heads?

(Please no use a shotgun stuff, I have decided I am just hunting with my bow this year for the first bird)
three11
Veteran

Re: Turkeys with Archery equipment..

Postby three11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:14 pm

I have been hunting with my Mathews for the last two years and have killed three birds with it. I shoot gold tip arrows and use Slick Trick 100 gr. magnum broadheads. Some people use the Gobbler Guillotines, but I am not a good enough shot to try and hit one in the head. My first two that I shot dropped in their tracks, but the third one I hit low and had to chase him for about 3 hours before I finally caught him. Ran out of arrows and had to beat him to death with an old bodoc fencepost that I pulled up!

As far as broadheads go, I have been using the Slick Tricks because that was what was on the end of my arrows. Been thinking about getting some Turkey Tearrors this year. Supposed to prevent pass through, which is important because it will impair a turkeys ability to fly(they can, and will, put a lot of distance between you and them if you don't drop them immediately).

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to go with and what kind of results you get.
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks for the reply! I just looked them up and those are some awesome looking heads. Might have to get a few and see how they shoot! Thanks
Jumpem
Regular

Postby Jumpem » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Fred Bear super kodiak Turkey Tearror Broadheads. Give them a try i haven't hunted with them yet but sure am anticipating it.
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:27 pm

those slick tricks are bad to the bone man. shoot just like a field tip.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:38 am

JLT needs to chime in on this discussion. He got his Ms. limit with nothing but a bow. He has got to be doing a lot right!!!!
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for the plug Mr. John.......I have not hunted 'em with the bow in a while, but when I was doing it I used my regular deer hunting arrows and dropped my poundage from 70 to the mid-low 60 to make the draw easy. You need to be able to draw sitting on your but w/o any extra movement other than your drawing arm. I used Spitfire turkey heads with great success. All they are is a regular spitfire with a blunt point to reduce penetration. I would never shoot a turkey anywhere other than in the side where the wing attaches to the body or in the back(very deadly!!). If you are right handed always set up with your left shoulder pointed at the bird, this worked really well for me. For the first three I killed I was using a bow sniper blind that attaches where your stabalizer goes and folds out like an umbrella. It served 2 purposes 1) to have something to hide behind 2) you can set your bow on the ground and the blind holds it in the ready position. I also used two decoys and they helped tremendously. After the first year I had some folks that thought it was to easy with the blind and decoys, so I tried it without them and killed 2 just hunting them like I would with a shotgun and this is the ultimate challenge in bowhunting to me. I was never able to run in to the magic 100 yards and set up because I hunt around a lot of cutover and you have to be able to shoot. This means that you may have to set up farther away to be in the right area to make the shot. I can't tell you in the first year how many gobblers I had to pass, but that is the only part that was not fun to me. Unfortunately I am still young and think numbers mean something. I hope I get over that one day.

Jt
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the information! JLT, I will probably PM you and pick your brain a little before the season starts. My Iceman is set on like 62 pounds so that should be plenty low enough. My Kryptic Pro is on 81 so it's probably a little over kill! :wink:

I am going to look into the turkey broadheads some more this evening and try to get a couple and see which shoots best out of my bow.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Shoot thru the bird! you want to cut and bleed as much as you can. Thats what hunting with a bow and arrow is about. A gobbler can run and fly off with an arrow. Best place to aim is right above the hips on walking or standing bird. Most importantly is wait after you shoot a bird and give it time to expire. I too call up or setup for left side shot but i call or lure ( decoy) the bird past me to my decoy which i set behind me. So in short , bird gobbles, i sit down in my seat against a tree wider than me facing away from bird and looking at my decoy. If all goes well bird walks right past me to my decoy on my left side and i wait for a fan to raise or head behind a tree to draw and shoot.
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Good information.....I don't know about the shoot through, but you've shot many more than me, so I heed to experience. I have shot them in the sides, back and front. The sides and back they never moved.....the front shot was a fly away and i've never tried the drumstick shot. I don't like the idea of them flying off at all. Never had but one fly away, but I didn't kill that many with the bow. In the area that I hunt I would hate to know that I had to track down a turkey......mostly pine plantation.
three11
Veteran

Postby three11 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm

The old saying about shot placement....

Hit em high...watch em die.

Hit em low...watch em go.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm

JLT.... ...How did you like that BowSniper Blind? I had one a buddy of mine got for me about 10 years ago from a guy in Tupelo. Someone said he sold out to mossy oak? which doesn't make sense to me.. Congrats to three in one season. My hat is off to that..great accomplishment!..that bow one day will "draw" you back to turkey woods..
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Rooter,

If you don't do house blinds the bowsniper can't be beat imo. I like the fact that it acts as a bow holder as well as a blind. I have drawn on a strutting gobbler at 10 yards with him facing me. Don't be mistaken. I am still in the woods every day, just not with a bow. BTW.....I would still like to have one of your mouth calls if you end up with a few xtras. You need to go ahead and tell everybody how many you have killed with the stickbow. I still have to use training wheels.

Jt
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:29 pm

I had that Bowsniper blind and like all good redneck's ...i tried to fix something NEW and end up tearing it up. The guy that invented it was Curt Kitchens i think from Tupelo. His dentist is one of my best friends and hooked me up with it. Great concept though. .......I "came out of the tent" 3 years ago and never looked back. You know how they can just kill the woods experience in spring all enclosed. PM your address and i'll get busy on your calls. You said you hunt several different states each year...find me the duumbest Rio's for my stick, please....if you ever need to park that Jake St. John call....let me know!.....John stopped by today and i mentioned that call....love it
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:06 am

I heard that the bowsniper blind was conceived in Ms, but was never sure. They are definitely a nice addition to the bowhunters list of toys. I just have never been able to convince myself to sit in a house blind. I don't condone it, but just like you said.....I hate not being able to see and hear as well. I may have to use one more in the future as I have a little girl who is 1 and can already gooble!! I hope that the St. John call can be handed down for generations. I might have to beg Mr. John out of a refresher course because duck and deer season de-railed my plans to practice a few times a week, but I will learn how to get the best out of those calls. Most think a box is just a gimme and anyone can be proficient right out of the box, but there are some tricks!! My address is in the mail.....don't put yourself out to make me anything, but I would like to have one. I have never had a custom mouth call. That might be something I want to try for myself. As far as the Rio's I only have experience in Western Oklahoma and to be honest those birds were so dumb that it was not even fun!! Nothing matches a 13lb eastern in Ms or Al with sharp curved hooks that been around the block!!!!! I'll let you know when I come up with something for Texas. I have never been there and will be going in the future. I would like to sub-lease turkey rights from some deer hunters. I heard from a friend that that is the best way to hunt Tx??

Return to “General Discussion Forum”