It's not the arrow, It's the INDIAN!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Jake St. John
Veteran

It's not the arrow, It's the INDIAN!

Postby Jake St. John » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Every year I see turkey articles and discussions on guns, loads, chokes. It seems these articles are geared at increasing one's yardage in killing a turkey. I am of the opinion that first; to be a successful turkey hunter, more effort should be devoted to knowing the ground that your turkey lives in. Two; Praticing your calling with a number of different kinds of calls. And Three: Have patience and let the bird work at least 5 yards closer than the greatest killing range of your gun.

My hunting partner was shot while fall turkey hunting. There are lot things that look like turkeys in the turkey woods. Positively identify your target before you pull the trigger. Do not pull the trigger on the 1st thing that looks like a turkey.

Run and gun type hunters that hunt in woods with other hunters are asking to be shot. I think back on all the hunters that I have called up in both public and private woods.

Practice safety and enjoy a lot of seasons to come!!! :)
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
randywallace
Veteran

Re: It's not the arrow, It's the INDIAN!

Postby randywallace » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 pm

LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:52 pm

so true Mr. Eddleman. I have been hunting with people that will brag that they shot a turkey at 67 steps. then they ask me what choke I am shooting and when I tell them modified, they about have a heart attack.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
mudweiser92887
Veteran

Postby mudweiser92887 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24 pm

very true i always make 110% sure of what i am shooting watever i am about to pull the trigger at...i had a friend of mine get shot too and it has never made sense to me how someone can shoot another hunter
Bloodshed Outdoors
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:04 pm

But, but, but you can't sell the Indian only the arrows...and that is the goal, right....

and I reckon I will take a good Indian with the best arrows over an equally good Indian with outdated arrows...still most never become good Indians and if you aren't a good Indian you don't need arrows.... How is that for circular....

Sorry to hear about your buddy, that sucks....
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
Jake St. John
Veteran

Postby Jake St. John » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:23 pm

My buddy actually hunted that afternoon. I cannot imagine being hit with 17 pellets in the neck head and shoulder, and hunting the same afternoon. I'm just glad he got back on the horse. You talk about being lucky, two pellets went through his neck and did not hit the main artery. This was on his own property. Neither knew the other was in the same section of woods.
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
mudweiser92887
Veteran

Postby mudweiser92887 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 pm

WOW thats dedication there....i had a guy i know got shot while deer hunting...he was sittin in a lock on and an old man squirrel hunting walked to the foot of his tree saw a squirrel above him and let the pellets fly....in the mans defense he has glasses as thick as coke bottles but still!! i think he got like 15 somethin pellets removed and several are still in him...it like to killed him...haha the man that shot him had to take him to the hospital
Bloodshed Outdoors
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”