How to play an old School Turpin or Stribling

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Jake St. John
Veteran

How to play an old School Turpin or Stribling

Postby Jake St. John » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:44 am

I killed my first turkey on Ashbrook Island near Greenville in the fall of1976. My turkey mentor was an original member of Ashbrook. As soon as WW II was over, he got an original Tom Turpin Shortbox from Tom himself in Menphis and a fool proof Lynch box. He told me one day they will come to the YipYip of the Lynch and will not come to the YAWK, YAWK of the Turpin. The next day he will come to YAWK YAWK of the Turpin and not the YipYip of the Lynch. Then he said, when he does come to either, Get you a big tree 40 yards from where he is roosted, slip in there when he gobbles at first light, and shoot him off the Limb. Although he was exactly correct on the yip yip, and the YAWK,YAWK, I have never done the third. When he had a Stroke, he let me use his Turpin for 13 Years. When I saw one had just sold for $5000, I gave it to his grandson, as he requested.

I started making Turpins and Striblings in 1986. The are very similiar and are played completely different from the Cost style boxes with springs under the lid. I have the video on my Facebook page. Sorry it is too long for photobucket. Just send me a friend request. John Eddleman Mr. E
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Re: How to play an old School Turpin or Stribling

Postby Hambone » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 am

I love the YAWK YAWK of my Turpin. Quite often, it makes them gobble when they want to be silent!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”