Ole Slump Buster

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Ole Slump Buster

Postby Hole Hunter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:28 am

Well, I finally laid one down yesterday afternoon. Wheww...I was beginning to think it was just not in the cards this season. I know several hunters, serious hunters, that are experiencing the same thing.

I had some time yesterday afternoon and got to a spot where they like to travel through and hang out. I put two hen decoys out and Larry the ole Thunder Chicken. I had a hen come through the pasture in front of me to check out the set up. She was none to happy and let me know it with her sharp cutting and overall attitude.

From that point forward I tried to mimic her sounds and round about 3:00pm heard a distant gobble from an undetermined location. I waited about 10 mins and called again and he answered even closer. Given the way the year has gone, I was not very optimistic, so I waited some more. My third call to him came sometime later and he threw out a thunderous gobble, but was not yet in sight. I started seeing some hens making their way through the pasture, walking parallel to my set up at about 50yds.

Then there he was, coming at a pretty good clip. He had Larry in his sights and he was looking for a fight. Drumming, half strutting, studder stepping, all the stuff you see on TV. He was closing in fast and that white head was shining against all the green of Spring. Bam, 360, Sprint, Bam!!

Murder was the case at 3:30p.m.
11" beard 1" spurs
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: Ole Slump Buster

Postby donia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:16 pm

congrats!!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:10 pm

well, it's about time!
congrats Russell.
WDE
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:48 am

Congrats on a fine bird! Still waiting on mine...
SHERMANATOR

Return to “General Discussion Forum”