First ever

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gps4
Veteran

First ever

Postby gps4 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 am

Never been lucky enough to bag a turkey. Only been on three hunts in my life before this week.

Most of the place I deer hunt has been under water until a week or so ago. Went Friday after work to try to roost a gobbler. Had one answering my hoots so I slipped out and came back yesterday morning with a caller and a camera man. Walked 4 miles without hearing a peep.

Came back to same spot this morning and let the real owls locate any that were around. First hoot was at 6:10 followed by gobbles from TWO birds down in the bottom. For the next 10-15 minutes, the owls and gobblers were talking back and forth. Eased on down the road towards both turkeys.

Bottom was logged last winter and really open. Figured I better not push it and found the widest tree I could to sit against. The closest turkey was gobbling so often I was able to narrow down his location and watch him pitch down into a logging road 100 yards in front of me. he hung out in the open for about 10-15 minutes, gobbling his head off. Whenever he disappeared behind a tree or lay down, I would hit the pot call a few seconds, hoping he would start heading my direction.

Eventually, he decided I wasn't coming to him and he started weaving his way toward me. The closer he got, the faster my ticker was ticking. I was afraid he'd see my chest moving I was breathing do hard. When he got to about 25-30 yards I decided to go ahead and send the nitro 4's down range. That sucker rolled off in a mud hole and was flipping and flopping till he was covered in mud and muck. I was filthy with mud and blood by time I got back in the truck at 7:15. Now I see what this turkey hunting addiction is all about. Only thing that could have made the hunt any better was to have a buddy to experience it with me.

Think I'll try to get the other one tomorrow morning.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
Last edited by gps4 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cupnglide
Veteran

Re: First ever

Postby cupnglide » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Congrats! Great story and a great bird. A hunt like that will get you hooked for life.
Never assume.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:09 am

congrats and yep, you're hooked!!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:26 am

went back this morning to the same bottom hoping the other gobbler was still there from yesterday. my buddy hooted around 6:1--6:15, and sure enough ol' thunder chicken came back with a gobble from the same area as yesterday morning. after we slipped down in the bottom and set up, he gobbled two more times, and then went silent. he wouldn't respond to the owls or the crows, or any of our calls. didn't hear him fly down, didn't hear any other hens nearby. so he gets to live another day.

but i know he's down there.....and knowing is half the battle.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”