Unwritten rules

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
YazooValley
Veteran

Unwritten rules

Postby YazooValley » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:22 pm

What would you do?

Rule #1. No real turkey hunter would shoot one out of a tree. Scenario: A turkey starts gobbling about 150 yards back in the woods from a food plot. You set up on the edge of the plot. He responds to calling. Everything looks good. But at flydown time, he doesn't fly down. He flies into a tree on the edge of the plot. He came to your calling and he's not in his roost tree. Can you shoot him in the second tree?

Rule #2. It only counts if you call him to you. Bushwhacking is frowned upon. Scenario: A turkey gobbles at daylight. You head that way but you misjudge how close he was. He catches you off guard as you're walking toward where you think he is when he flies down 75 yards in front of you. You sit down immediately and start getting ready. Before you even have a chance to call, he walks right up to you. He was just heading that way. Can you shoot him?

FWIW, I shot #2.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Re: Unwritten rules

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:10 pm

#2 is dead all day.

Couldn't shoot one off a limb.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Dead and dead
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:44 pm

^^^ Agreed. I won't shoot him on the roost. When he flies to another limb because I called to him, he's not on the roost.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:32 pm

I'd leave him in the tree either way roost or otherwise
But
if he comes my way via ground transport wether on purpose, on accident , if a dog chased him towards me or if a big ole gust of wind blows him in range of me then said gobbler is fair game and shall be turkey nuggets on the table that night.
hdforester
Veteran

Postby hdforester » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:47 pm

To each his own I guess. How he dies is more important than if he dies. Not fun to me if he doesn't gobble and play right.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:40 pm

+1. Maybe that's why I don't kill a lot of turkeys.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:45 pm

Dead and deader.

Any longboard that is in shotgun range is dead. If I can sneak close enough to the roost and he gobbles and I get a shot, the shot will be taken. Kudos to me and my ninja skills to get close enough. I shoot ducks on the water for the same reason. If my calling and camo is good enough to get them to land then kudos to me. I'll even line up a few head and try and roll two with one shot.

turkey hunting is hard. period. I won't pass up an opportunity. Of course I haven killed a bird in years. :roll:
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Honestly, first scenario I would have to really be put on the spot to know, and if I had any history with the bird. I've had too many opportunities to blast them out of the tree on roost that I know I wouldn't do it. If he flew to me in broad daylight? I don't know. My thinking is if he did that and you waited just another min or two, he might plop down right there but who knows.

Second scenario, dead, no questions asked.
work hard, play hard
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:13 pm

deerhunt1988
Regular

Postby deerhunt1988 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:47 am

Many years ago I was in situation #1 and let the bird go, thinking he'd fly down in front of me. Wrong. He flew down alright, but hit the ground running away! Consulted with my mentors and realized that should have been a dead turkey since he was called in. Next time it happens, it will be.

Situation #2..Dead turkey. Only way I may pass is if I stumble into some jam up private land to hunt in the future where shot opportunities aren't hard to come by.
JMitch
Veteran

Postby JMitch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 am

The first situation you shoot. Ive seen turkeys fly from roost tree to another tree for different reasons backwater, cutover, etc. As sharp as a turkey is you kill them however you can. Only sorry methods are out of truck and over corn. Those two incidents you haven't accomplished $h!t You are just doing it to feed your ego
"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
Hayes
Duck South Addict

Postby Hayes » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Both Die
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Interesting questions. I would shoot #1 because he was "called to the gun," as we say. Interestingly, in my many years of turkey hunting, I have never once had a decent opportunity shoot a gobbler off the roost.

I won't say I wouldn't shoot #2 under any circumstances, but I have passed up several ambush opportunities because I didn't want to kill one that way. But....I have taken several other ambush opportunities to full advantage, though not in a long time.
hdforester
Veteran

Postby hdforester » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:39 pm

I will never, ever shoot a turkey out of a tree. #2 turkey probably has to die unless it's number 3 for the year and I don't want the season to end. And yes I will stop at 3 unlike some other folks. Need a tag system.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”