Afternoon Turkey Kill

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Afternoon Turkey Kill

Postby msudawg8087 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:28 pm

My brother and I roosted this bird the afternoon before opening day and were set up on him the next morning hoping we could get him to fly down to us. As most birds do, he flew down the direct opposite direction to the next ridge over where he was greeted by about 10 to 15 hens. We gave up on him and went on to another gobbling bird.

Because of work I can only hunt on Saturdays and a Sunday every now and then. I have hunted almost every Saturday morning since then and would hear this bird gobble on and off. I would try to get around on him later in the mornings and early afternoons when I thought he would be done breeding hens but every time I made a move to go after him he would shut up when I got close. He would fly to the same ridge every day and stay within a 1-200 yard radius because I could hear him gobbling each time in that area.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. We went out of town on Friday but got back in time for me to be standing where I needed be by around 5 oclock that afternoon. I let out a few yelps with my mouth call but nothing answered. I figured he was right where he usually was so I slipped in as close as I thought I could get without being caught. Just as I put my decoy out and was about to sit down, he hammers but is in the bottom across the next ridge over and across a creek. Greeeeat... Just as I stand up to make a move another bird hammers in the cutover behind me from out of nowhere. So I spin around on the tree and start calling but he's gobbling and strutting in the main road with a hen and won't come my way. By the time that show is done, it's almost dark and everything has flown up.

So yesterday afternoon. I get to where I need to be at 5:45 because of work but feel like there's plenty of time. Once again, yelp a few times and nothing. This time I ease down the ridge where the original bird was and again got as close as I thought I could get. And once again, just as I am getting ready to plop up against a tree I hear a gobble. It's him but he's about 150 yds down the ridge and to the left in the bottom. I let out a few soft yelps every 10-15 min but he only gobbled the one time as I was sitting down. 45 min later I catch movement in the bend in the road at 40 steps and there he is in all his strutting glory. He struts up to the decoy at about 30 steps and I cut loud a few times to raise his head and that was all she wrote. He had an 11" beard and 1" hooks. My first one to kill in 5 years and only my second bird ever. To say I am proud is an understatement.

Also want to give a big shout out/thanks to Luckydawg on here. Called him in with one of his mouth calls.

SHERMANATOR
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Re: Afternoon Turkey Kill

Postby jtdumallard » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm

That's a great bird.
Last edited by jtdumallard on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
Duck Chaser
Veteran

Postby Duck Chaser » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Good story and turkey. Congrats!
HRCH Rusty MH
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Good stuff. Congrats.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks guys!
SHERMANATOR
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:01 am

Awesome! Congrats Logan!
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Haha thanks Vickers. Yall quit messing around and kill your brother one.
SHERMANATOR
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Awesome! Well done. Sounds like your patience paid off. Those tough birds that make you work for it are always a little bit sweeter when you finally get the opportunity to harvet them.
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”